Office Version
  1. 2013
  2. 2011
  3. 2010
  4. 2007
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi Frnds,
I am creating oneUserFrom in Excel and my backend will be Ms Access.
multiple User will access this at same time for (update and Delete).
just I wanted what CursorType and Locktype I sould use.

Excel Facts

Can Excel fill bagel flavors?
You can teach Excel a new custom list. Type the list in cells, File, Options, Advanced, Edit Custom Lists, Import, OK
You can just let the defaults be used,
but why use excel as the FE when Access was built for this purpose as a Frontend too?
With virtually NO programming. (unlike Excel)
ALL of an excel form would have to be programmed, where Access it's: drag, drop, and point to a query.

the uses of Access Runtime (free) prevents users from altering anything, unlike Excel.

Upvote 0
I am totally agree with both of you.....
only reason I am using Excel because of Cilent requirments

Code:
You can just let the defaults be used,/

would you like to be more specific about CursorType and Locktype ? I am still searching answer.

Upvote 0
It doesn't, but it adds food for thought as does advising the op to use access for building the ui

Upvote 0
@Kyle123,

Are you willing to give your thoughts on what CursorType and Locktype they should use?

Upvote 0
It really depends on how the data will be presented and bound in Excel and how much concurrent editing/deleting of the same record you're likely to have. The safest option (and simplist) is pessimistic locking, this means that the database takes care of concurrent editing of rows, this may or may not be a good option depending on how much concurrency the application is likely to have, but ensures that once a user starts editing a row, another user cannot - it's most useful where a user maintains a single session.

Optimistic locking is typically used where you disconnect your data, think read the data into your form then close the connection, then at some point later update a record.

Either way you need to be careful, optimistic locking puts the emphasis on your application to prevent accidental overwriting of data when concurrent editing occurs, but pessimistic locking requires steps to reduce the likelihood of deadlocks.

As to the cursor, again it depends on your implementation. If you favour an optimistic approach, you can go for a forward only cursor which is very fast, however if additions and deletions are likely and you need to preserve data integrity then a dynamic cursor is preferable as it updates when other users make changes.

So it's not really a straightforward question, it really depends on how you are implementing the database in excel.

Upvote 0
It's important to note that this is only relevant if multiple users are updating the same record rather than the table. The question is really one of architecture and isn't really answerable from the information you've given us.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back