How to convert Excel 2010 If statement into Access 2010?

wendikunz

Hello,
Thank you for your time and assistance.
I am building a database based from a daily Excel sheet. I'm working on Windows 7 and Excel and Access 2010.
One of the cells has an extensive If formula that I don't know how to convert into Access.
I have changed the cell references to text box names, i.e. [FEDD] and [Weekday]. But I get a "#Name?" error.
What am I missing?

=IF([FEDD]="",””,(-0.3434*[FEDD]^3)+(42.041*[FEDD]^2)+(1131.8*[FEDD])+(([FYEDD]-[FEDD])*600)+(0.14*[Customers])+IF([Weekday]="Monday",500)+IF([Weekday]="Tuesday",500)+IF([Weekday]="Wednesday",500)+IF([Weekday]="Thursday",500)-IF([Weekday]="Friday",250)-IF([Weekday]="Saturday",250)-IF([Weekday]="Sunday",250))

Excel Facts

Easy bullets in Excel
If you have a numeric keypad, press Alt+7 on numeric keypad to type a bullet in Excel.
The error you're getting generally means Access cannot resolve a name you have used for an object or field reference. Three things jump out to me. First is that the Access equivalent of the Excel IF statement is IIF. Another is that Weekday is a reserved Access word and you should not use these words for object or field names. The other is that the Access Weekday function returns a number, so it cannot be "Tuesday" unless you nest within your expression a function to return the text day value. Check out 'reserved Access words' to get a list.

Upvote 0
Hello,
Thank you for your time and assistance.
I am building a database based from a daily Excel sheet. I'm working on Windows 7 and Excel and Access 2010.
One of the cells has an extensive If formula that I don't know how to convert into Access.
I have changed the cell references to text box names, i.e. [FEDD] and [Weekday]. But I get a "#Name?" error.
What am I missing?

=IF([FEDD]="",””,(-0.3434*[FEDD]^3)+(42.041*[FEDD]^2)+(1131.8*[FEDD])+(([FYEDD]-[FEDD])*600)+(0.14*[Customers])+IF([Weekday]="Monday",500)+IF([Weekday]="Tuesday",500)+IF([Weekday]="Wednesday",500)+IF([Weekday]="Thursday",500)-IF([Weekday]="Friday",250)-IF([Weekday]="Saturday",250)-IF([Weekday]="Sunday",250))

Welcome to the world of database programming!

Are you using this as the control source for a textbox on a form/report or in a query?

What you are trying to do might work in Excel but it really is not a good way with a database, including Access.

TIP: Avoid hard coding any values. Use lookup tables.

For example:

Code:
IF([Weekday]="Wednesday",500)+IF([Weekday]="Thursday",500)-IF([Weekday]="Friday",250)-IF([Weekday]="Saturday",250)-IF([Weekday]="Sunday",250))

This is hard coding values and should be avoid. Even in Excel the values for each weekday should be a cell reference.

I would expect that you have a lookup table that has a record for each weekday and the value. Do you have that already?

Getting your tables all build will give you a good foundation to build on. It will also make things a lot easier.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back