Cannot save database as new name, cannot execute "Compact & Repair" because it is open by "admin"?

MarkN

I'm on a company PC (running Win7 Enterprise) to which I do not have (and cannot get) admin rights. I am working with an Access 2013 database which I created yesterday, and to which nobody else has access.

My database is only a half-dozen tables, the largest of which is just over 1200 rows, and the rest are less than 400 rows. Pretty small for Access, I think.

Nonetheless, I am getting duplicate rows as a result of some queries, so I decided to try "Compact and Repair" to see if that would solve the problem. Access tells me that the database is currently open by admin on my machine, and cannot proceed. I get the same result if I try to do a "Save As".

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Excel Facts

Last used cell?
Press Ctrl+End to move to what Excel thinks is the last used cell.
Problem solved. I closed the database, and re-opened it by double-clicking on the file, instead of opening Access from the Start menu, then opening my database. I can now use the database normally, including performing C & R and Save As.

CONJECTURE: Opening from the Start Menu somehow involves the admin account on this corporate machine. Opening the file from within my own file structure does not involve the admin account.

The duplication of data problem remains, but that's another subject.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update. Glad to here you were able to get the compact to work.

TIP: ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS, back up a database before compact it.
TIP2: I alwsy close access and then reopent eh databse with the shift key down to be sure that the auto start/run stuff has not run. This critical for front ends. (I assume you have already split your database.)

The duplication of data problem remains, but that's another subject.

I assume you have verified there is not duplicate data int eh actual tables.

If you have more that one table in a query then you are getting duplicate data based on the join, or lack of a join, between the tables.

Feel free to start a new question is you are still having issues with the duplicate data.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RandomExceller01

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back