IIIF statement with multiple conditions

Drew77

Help... back using Access after a long break. Trying to use an IIF statement but forgotten how to construct.

So what I am trying to so is as below:-

If Code = 123 and Description = ABC then true else false, If Code = 456 and Description = DEF then true else false ..... and adding further conditions.

Anyone help or point me to resources/similar thread.

Thanks,

Drew77

Excel Facts

Save Often
If you start asking yourself if now is a good time to save your Excel workbook, the answer is Yes
When you start having this many options, put them in a lookup table.
Code:
, [desc], [value]
123,  ABC, true
[COLOR=#333333]456 [/COLOR],  [COLOR=#333333]DEF [/COLOR], true

join your main table to this to get your desired result.  No code.  Just query.

Upvote 0
Help... back using Access after a long break. Trying to use an IIF statement but forgotten how to construct.

So what I am trying to so is as below:-

If Code = 123 and Description = ABC then true else false, If Code = 456 and Description = DEF then true else false ..... and adding further conditions.

Anyone help or point me to resources/similar thread.

Thanks,

Drew77
Use switch instead of IIF for multiple ifs

=SWITCH(AND(code=123,Description="ABC"),TRUE,AND(code=456,Description="DEF"),TRUE,...)

Upvote 0
Drew77: some key considerations.
- Each test must return a Boolean or a number that can be interpreted as a Boolean.
- If any test causes an error, the whole function results in an error.
- If no tests result in True, the function returns Null, so you may need to wrap the whole thing in the NZ function
- AFAIK, the And function in Access cannot be applied as suggested by mathemetician. It has to be declared for each test: IF this And this And this... Then
- To nest And within Switch: Nz(Switch(test1 = "orange" And test2 = "aardvark", "juicy", test3 = "grapefruit" And test4 = "whale", "mammal"), "No Switch")

You don't say where you are using this. If you are doing this in code, it is considered better to use an If, ElseIf structure or Select Case structure so that every portion of the whole expression is not evaluated and you have fewer restrictions compared to the Switch function. I'm not sure a lookup table will help if this has to to with testing for user generated conditions so you know how to direct program flow.

Upvote 0
I was meaning the way AND is written as a function
Yah I made a mistake in using AND function. Took Excel way. Do this, I tried and it worked

codeValue: Switch(
Code:
=123 And [Description]="ABC","TRUE",[code]=456 And [Description]="DEF","TRUE")

Switch is a simplification of Nested IIF but with switch you save time for u don't concentrate on closing "nested" brackets...

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
THMarana

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back