Access Selection Menus Vanishing

matratus34

Board Regular
Hi,
Bit of a random one but I've just moved to Access 2010 and I have an intermittent problem where when I click on an item in Access the option menu that should appear only appears for a fraction of a second before vanishing; this makes it impossible to select an option.

For example if I right click on a query name on the left of the screen the menu which includes "Open", "Design View", "Rename" etc etc is only briefly visable before it disappears.

Any ideas? when this happens it makes Access impossible to use for me.

Excel Facts

Back into an answer in Excel
Use Data, What-If Analysis, Goal Seek to find the correct input cell value to reach a desired result
The only time I have seen this behaviour is in a accde or mde, whose objects you cannot design or rename. Perhaps that is the file extension of your db?

Upvote 0
Hi,
Bit of a random one but I've just moved to Access 2010 and I have an intermittent problem where when I click on an item in Access the option menu that should appear only appears for a fraction of a second before vanishing; this makes it impossible to select an option.

For example if I right click on a query name on the left of the screen the menu which includes "Open", "Design View", "Rename" etc etc is only briefly visable before it disappears.

Any ideas? when this happens it makes Access impossible to use for me.

Curious, Are you running Windows 10?

My first that is that it is not an Access issue but something with the pointing device (mouse, tough pad, trackball, etc). I have experienced/seen strange thing like this with wireless pointing devices. A low battery, cell phones in use, and even microwave ovens in use.

Does the right-click key (usually to the right of the space bar) on the keyboard work?

The only time I have seen this behaviour is in a accde or mde, whose objects you cannot design or rename. Perhaps that is the file extension of your db?
Interesting, I have never seen it happen because of an mde/accde. During testing I right-click on item in the nav pane. The menu item for design is just greyed out. There are other menu other right-click that do work like open.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Interesting, I have never seen it happen because of an mde/accde.
Weird, I know. I closed and opened the db and it was fine after that, but I was not able to reproduce the problem afterwards, even though I tried.
Perhaps there was a dialog open in the background at the time.

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies.

I've now found a work around for this issue.

If the menus start to vanish then pressing "Alt Gr" will temporarily cure the problem.
If it reoccurs just press it again.

Hope this helps someone, somewhere!

Upvote 0
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the replies.

I've now found a work around for this issue.

If the menus start to vanish then pressing "Alt Gr" will temporarily cure the problem.
If it reoccurs just press it again.

Hope this helps someone, somewhere!

Curious, are you using a form's timer event?

Upvote 0
Hi.
Sorry I really know next to nothing when it comes to this sort of thing.

I'm using regular Access 2010 but it runs on a server rather than directly on my laptop.

I can find out more details if it will be of any help to you?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FreeCricketId

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back