Concatenated field displays Primary Key, need description

MissaLissa

Greetings Experts

I have a subform that contains a combo box for "Reason Category". The Reason Category table contains Category ID (Primary Key) and Reason Category.

Category ID
Reason Category
N/A
Underwriting
Marketing & Sales
Claims
Policyholder Services
Miscellaneous

<tbody>
</tbody>

I have another combo box for "Reason" which displays items based on what was chosen in the Reason Category field. The Reason table contains the Primary Key number from the Reason Category table. (small sample below)

Category Number
Reason
Unsatisfactory Settlements
U&C Reduction
Replacement
Refusal to Insured
Recession

<tbody>
</tbody>

These are set up so that categories chosen are passed through to a master table. The data passed through is the description not the primary key. However, when creating a select query which creates a new field with the Reason Category and the Reason fields concatenated, the results are as: 3 - Unsatisfactory Settlements. I need it to be displayed as: Claims - Unsatisfactory Settlements

Can someone please help me solve this issue?

Excel Facts

VLOOKUP to Left?
Use =VLOOKUP(A2,CHOOSE({1,2},$Z$1:$Z$99,$Y$1:$Y$99),2,False) to lookup Y values to left of Z values.
In general it's a join on the tables -- IF the keys are properly set up. It looks like you are only using the Reason table by itself, but the category descriptions are in the Reason Category table.

Code:
SELECT [Reason Category], [Reason]
FROM [Reason]
INNER JOIN [Reason Category]
ON [Reason].[Category Number] = [Reason Category].[Category ID]

Upvote 0
Hi xenou

I don't think I was very clear as to what I'm trying to accomplish. I'm trying to create a select query that pulls all the data from the Master table. There are 2 fields in the Master Table that I need concatenate, but when I run the query I'm getting the primary key for the Reason Category.

NAIC Reason Code: [tbl_001Master].[Reason Category] & " - " & [tbl_001Master].[Reason] .... this statement's results in "3 - Unsatisfactory Settlements". I need it to be displayed as "Claims - Unsatisfactory Settlements".

Below is the SQL statement as it is now.
Code:
SELECT tbl_001Master.[State of Execution], tbl_001Master.[Source of Complaint], [tbl_001Master]![Applicant Last Name] & ", " & [tbl_001Master]![Applicant First Name] AS [Participants Name (Last, First)], tbl_001Master.[Coverage ID Number], tbl_001Master.[Coverage Type], tbl_001Master.Comments AS [Nature of Complaint], tbl_001Master.[Reason Category], [tbl_001Master].[Reason Category] & " - " & [tbl_001Master].[Reason] AS [NAIC Reason Code], tbl_001Master.[Company Disposition], tbl_001Master.[LTCG Received] AS [Date LTCG Received], tbl_001Master.[Compliance Received] AS [Date Compliance Received], tbl_001Master.[Acklgmnt Letter Sent] AS [Date Complaint Acknowledgement Letter Was Sent], tbl_001Master.[Referred to Acct Mgr] AS [Date Referred to Account Manager for Client Input or Approval], tbl_001Master.Closed AS [Date Closed], tbl_001Master.[Compliance Analyst] AS [Entered By], tbl_001Master.[Link to Complaint], tbl_001Master.[Link to Memo], tbl_001Master.[Link to Response], IIf([tbl_001Master]![BD to Acklgmnt Sent]=0,"N/A",IIf([tbl_001Master]![BD to Acklgmnt Sent]>5,"No","Yes")) AS [Acknowledgement Sent Within 5 Business Days   (Yes or No)], tbl_001Master.[BD to Close] AS [Number of Days from Date LTCG Received to Date Closed], tbl_001Master.[BD to Refer to Mgr] AS [Number of Days from LTCG Received to Referred to Acct Manager] INTO [tbl_CalPERS Register]
FROM tbl_001Master
WHERE (((tbl_001Master.[Client Number])="020"));

Upvote 0
NAIC Reason Code: [tbl_001Master].[Reason Category] & " - " & [tbl_001Master].[Reason] .... this statement's results in "3 - Unsatisfactory Settlements". I need it to be displayed as "Claims - Unsatisfactory Settlements".

Is this a number or a description: [tbl_001Master].[Reason Category] ?

Upvote 0
Hi xenou.... thanks for your help. Reason Category is a description (text)... below is the layout of all the tables and queries.

tbl_Reason CategorySelected in form and passed through to the Master table. Reason Category
Field NameData Type
pKEYCategory IDNumber
Reason CategoryText
tbl_ReasonSelected in form based off selection made above and passed through to the Master table. Reason
Field NameData Type
Category NumberNumber
Reason
Text
tbl_001Master(Not All Fields are Listed)
Field NameData Type
pKEYRecord IDAutoNumber
Client NameText
Reason CategoryText
Reason Text
qMkTbl_CalPERS RegisterThis is the Make Table query created to make tbl_CalPERS Register
Field NameExpression
NAIC Reason Code[tbl_001Master].[Reason Category] & " - " & [tbl_001Master].[Reason]
tbl_CalPERS Register(Not All Fields are Listed)
Field NameData Type
NAIC Reason Code Text

<tbody>
</tbody><colgroup><col><col><col></colgroup>

Upvote 0
Just to clarify, what are the values for Reason Category in the [tbl_001Master] table and what are the values for Reason Category in the [tbl_Reason Category] table? Are they the same and are they both descriptions?

Upvote 0
Record IDClient NameClient NumberReason CategoryReason
3United of Omaha026
Delay
4Mutual of Omaha026
Customer Satisfaction
5Mutual of Omaha026
Customer Satisfaction
6CalPERS020ClaimsDenial of Claim
7CalPERS020ClaimsUnsatisfactory Settlements
8CalPERS020ClaimsMiscellaneous
22CalPERS020UnderwritingCancellation
23United of Omaha026
Non-covered charges
24Genworth Individual - NCL128Policyholder ServicesMiscellaneous
25Genworth Group054Policyholder ServicesMiscellaneous
26CalPERS020ClaimsUnsatisfactory Settlements
27CalPERS020Policyholder ServicesDelays
<caption>tbl_001Master</caption>

<thead>

</thead>
<tbody>

</tbody>
<tfoot></tfoot>

Category IDReason Category
0N/A
1Underwriting
2Marketing & Sales
3Claims
4Policyholder Services
5Miscellaneous
<caption>tbl_Reason Category</caption>

<thead>

</thead>
<tbody>

</tbody>
<tfoot></tfoot>

Upvote 0
You are using some kind of combobox then, maybe?? Where exactly does this get used on what's the rest of it:

Note that one possible reason is that you are referring to a combo box that has a lookup on the Reason Category table and the combo box has a bound field which is the category number. You need to lookup the reason category based on that number.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foxpro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back