Changing Data source on form

JAFO_

I'm hoping this is an easy fix. I have a limited skill in Access so bare with me.
I have a drop down field of the names of all the people in the office. The table with that field has a look up for a query (Qry_Employ_Working). The query is set to only show those still working here.

Now here is where I buggered things up
The field reference the source table (Tbl_Employ_Input) that employ info is inputted into vs the query (Qry_Employ_Working). So the drop down shows everyone who has worked in the office. To say the least it getting to be a bit of a long list.

I have tried just changing the data source from Tbl_Employ_Input to Qry_Employ_Working however that deletes everything from all the past records for that field. I am hoping there is a way it can be easily changed and keep past data.

Thanks for the help

Excel Facts

What is =ROMAN(40) in Excel?
The Roman numeral for 40 is XL. Bill "MrExcel" Jelen's 40th book was called MrExcel XL.
Control source for the form field should probably be the table field. The row source can be a query. Remember that the value of the field (one value) is not the same as the things in the lookup list (many values to choose from).

Upvote 0
Sorry yes it is the Row source that is referencing the table instead of the query. So when I go to change it to the query for that field it wipes everything out.

Upvote 0
well, first of all fields don't have records. Tables have records. So I'm not sure what you mean when you say changing a row source wipes out all the records for a field. Are you saying there are no records left in a table after you do this? How exactly are you changing the row source?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think I have figured out what part of my problem was. The info wasn't wiping it out, I had the wrong bound column. I have the right column selected but it is only showing what I am guessing is the row number of each employee vs their name. Thanks

Upvote 0
Are you using employee IDs? Do you have an Employees table?

Upvote 0
There are employee IDs in the table, however I am not using them as part of the primary/forgine key. The employee table is the same mentioned above (Tbl_Employ_Input). Its now showing the right lines but not the text

Upvote 0
You might have more than one column in the combo box. You need to decide what to display, and also what the bound column (the "real" value) of the combobox is.

MS Access 2003: Bind Combo Box to Primary Key but display a Description field

Note that the above is instructional but I guess you probably want the bound column to be different than in the example, since you aren't using IDs for employees.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back