Adding months to date to get future date

hafiff

Board Regular
I have a date field and customer will give a number of months when they can pay. I need a formula in Access for a calculated field for [Date] plus months = future date. Do I need to have the calculated field on the Form or Query?

I would appreciate if anyone can help writing a simple formula for the above.

Thanks,
HA

Excel Facts

Do you hate GETPIVOTDATA?
Prevent GETPIVOTDATA. Select inside a PivotTable. In the Analyze tab of the ribbon, open the dropown next to Options and turn it off
Whenever you need a function/expression, go here https://www.techonthenet.com/access/functions/
For your post, look at DateAdd. Your field should not be named Date if it is "[Date]"
To answer your other question, either will do. Having it in the query means it will be usable other ways, such as a report. Maybe you already know, but I'll mention as well that you should not store calculations, except for rare circumstances.

Upvote 0
Also take a look at the DateSerial function.
Could you please provide an example of how one can add a date interval such as days, months or years, to a date by using that function? I'm always looking to expand my repertoire of function applications and thought that one was only for converting something that looks like an improperly formatted date to a date that can be recognized by the system. Thanks in advance, and welcome to the forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
DateSerial basically takes numbers and makes them into a date. The syntax is DateSerial(Year, Month, Day).

So, if you're looking at a mmddyy text string you'd use:
DateSerial(CInt("20" & Mid(mmddyy,5,2)), CInt(Mid(mmddyy,1,2)), CInt(Mid(mmddyy,3,2)))

But if you want to add a month to an existing date you can do:
DateSerial(Year(ExistingDate), (Month(ExistingDate)+1), Day(ExistingDate))

I have two functions I use for first day of the month (FOM) and last day of the month (LOM) for a date:
FOM = DateSerial(Year(ExistingDate), Month(ExistingDate), 1)
LOM = (DateSerial(Year(ExistingDate), (Month(ExistingDate)+1), 1) - 1)

Hope this helps!

UC

Upvote 0
Well, I guess I'd do all that if the date didn't resemble a date as in your example.
Otherwise, I can't imagine why you'd do all that if you could just DateAdd("m",3,Forms!frmMyForm.[myDate]) or even just DateAdd("m",#3,06/15/2016#).
I think the OP does have a valid date since they said they have a date field they want to add to. BTW, I think your expression would work as
DateSerial("20" & Mid(mmddyy,5,2), Mid(mmddyy,1,2), Mid(mmddyy,3,2))
For getting the FOM or LOM, you're definitely challenged without a valid date to begin with. Otherwise, it could be simpler, as
DatePart("d",DateSerial(Year(#11/03/2016#), Month(#11/03/2016#), 1))
Thanks for sharing your info.

Upvote 0
I typically use dateserial the same way UC describes, for what it's worth. I believe it requires integer parameters, so not not good so much for working with dates stored as text so much as just for creating dates out of integer values for year, month and day. Very useful for getting last day of month, first day of month so that's probably how I developed the habit of utilizing this construction -- often in conjunction with Year(), month() and day() functions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe it requires integer parameters
Sometimes Access takes the position that if it looks like a number it is. This would be one of those times.
I tested DateSerial("20" & Mid(110516,5,2), Mid(110516,1,2), Mid(110516,3,2)) and it returned 11/5/2016. Most likely, if my system short date format was dd/mm/yyyy (which it is not) it would have returned a date in May instead of November. I didn't fail to notice that the year value returned was 4 digits even though the year portion supplied was not.

Upvote 0
Yes, that works.
Dateserial("2016","12","31")

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back