Convert Number Format to Text in Make Table query

Solola

Board Regular
I have imported data from Excel into Access, and the import spreadsheet wizard did not allow me to change the data type as I was importing (it was grayed out). I guess this is my first question: why did it not allow me to do this? I realize the way around this is to be sure that my data is formatted the way I want it in Excel BEFORE I import into Access, but shouldn't it allow me to change it? Why have the option there, if it's not going to let me use it? I assume I'm doing something wrong (?).

Second question (the REAL question/purpose of this post):
Now that my data is in Access, I need to change this field from a number format to text. I don't want to do this manually, b/c I've created a series of queries that ultimately get me the data I want. I will need to repeat this process with new data every month, so I want to just be able to import from Excel and click down the line of queries. I don't want to have to remember to manually go into the design of a table after I create it in step 7 and change the format of one field. I want to just create a field within the "make table" query (Step 7) that converts the existing number field to text. In Excel, I would just use the formula =TEXT(RID,"general").

This does not exist in Access, so how do I do this? Is it possible?

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
First off, I think you intended to post this question to the Access forum. Maybe a moderator can move it there for us?

Question 1:
If importing a file from Excel, Access automatically takes whatever the format Excel has the data in. I don't think you have any ability to select/change it via the Import Wizard (believe me, I've tried)! The best way to handle it is to format the Excel file appropriately first.

Another option, one that I have used a lot because you often get many more errors importing from Excel directly, is to save your Excel file as a Text file first, then import the Text file into Access. Then you have "control" over the format of the fields through the Import Wizard.

Question 2:
I would go about this a little differently. Instead of trying to change the format directly in the table, or via a Make Table Query, why not just convert the field from Numeric to Text in a query (using the FORMAT function, which is similar to Excel's TEXT function), and use the query for report/form/calculation purposes? Then you never have to worry about manipulating/massaging that field every time it comes in. Here is an example of a query calculation that will convert a Numeric entry to Text.
Code:
MyConvertToText: Format([Table1]![Amount],"@")

Upvote 0
Thanks!! That will work perfectly. (what does the @ signify, though?)

Yes, I meant to post to the Access forum - I was searching in the Access forum for an answer to my question, and then just it the button to post a question when I didn't find anything - guess I didn't do it right... Hopefully someone can move it there?

Upvote 0
The "@" is the symbol for Text format, like "mm/dd/yyyy" is a date format and "0.00" is a number format.

Upvote 0
Actually, I don't think it is very obvious at all (or intuitive for that matter)! I'm sure there is some sort of logic/rationale behind it, though I don't know what it is.

The only reason I know that is because I recorded some Excel macros a while back where I was setting the format of certain cells to Text, and I noticed that the code used "@" to represent the Text format. I thought that maybe Access used the same code, and I guessed right.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharmarick

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back