Summarize data from two tables/pivots into a consolidated pivot

prottoy

Hey Everyone,
I’m currently working on a material resource planning system. I’ve prepared a sheet where given the inputs on “Finished Goods Production Schedule” and “Raw Materials Needed for Each Kind of Finished Goods”; it generates “Raw Material Consumption Schedule”.
It’s pretty simple actually, I create two different pivots for these two tables and then do matrix multiplication of these two pivots on another sheet. I used to achieve the same results with “sumifs, sumproducts, etc.” before but you know how RAM-efficient that could be.
I couldn’t manage to turn get dynamic references from a pivot table to the “Matrix Multiplication” sheet. I tried with VBA, but I’d like to avoid adding macro here if possible.
Now, I want to go further and peek if powerpivot can offer a more elegant solution. Here's the link for a simplified version of the sheet.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u39xwp1qrf0etex/mrexcel help 1.xlsx?dl=0

Please note that the columns have duplicate values in production schedule. The original sheet is much, much larger and includes other types of calculations (regarding purchase, capacity planning, forecast, location management etc.) built up on “Raw Material Consumption Schedule”. What I’m willing to achieve, is to get the “Raw Material Consumption Schedule” (presented in the last sheet) directly from the tables in first two sheets.
And of course, I’m lower than a newbie in excel/pivot/powerpivot. It’s just been a few months since I’ve started excel. Please bear with my noobness haha. I’m looking for a push towards right direction.
Cheers.

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
Hi there.

Please note this is the PowerPivot forum which isn't actually "powerful pivot tables" but a separate addin to Excel. While I suspect PowerPivot *would* be a great fit for your project... It doesn't look like that was your intent here, and you will get better help in the main Excel forum.

Upvote 0
while i know that "powerpivot" is not "powerful pivot", i was looking for suggestions if there was a possibility to take a different approach with powerpivot. the system uses oracle, and i saw powerpivot connections can pool data from there. So I was reading DAX, MDX etc. Just can't put the pieces together myself. (noobness)

thanks anyways.

Upvote 0
No problem prottoy -- we occasionally get people in here that have never heard of Power Pivot :)

Happy to help. Step 1 with Power Pivot (unless you end up needing Step 0 :) Which is "shaping" the data) is to get the data into power pivot. Have you tried that? Where does your data originally come from? (sql? csv? just excel sheets?)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back