Stacked Column Chart with Line Combo

rileybloke

Hello,

I have a stacked column chart showing "spend" values from a measure across a time dimension for each spend type.

I would like to add a target line which is taken from another measure (budget), but when I add this measure to the chart, the chart changes from a stacked to a normal column chart.

Any ideas, thanks :)

Phil

Excel Facts

Who is Mr Spreadsheet?
Author John Walkenbach was Mr Spreadsheet until his retirement in June 2019.
Hi Phil,
click on one of the data rows - right mouse click - select "Change series Chart type".
In the bottom area you should be able to allocate the chart types to each individual data row/measure - at least in my Excel 2013 this sticks.
Imke

Upvote 0
Thanks, done it, but now as this is a stacked column a stacked column consists of approx 3 different values (actual spend), now I have added my (budget) and changed to a line, it has put 3 different lines.
I prefer to have 1 line running along the axis as this is the total budget for all 3 different values.

In summary my objective is to create a stacked column chart showing the 3 value amounts for each month along the axis. But then show the total budget of the 3 values as line.
My measures are calculating correctly, just having trouble presenting it on the graph.

I tried creating a transparent line chart with just my budget measure and placing it on top of the stacked column chart but it doesn't line up very well.

Any ideas? thanks again :)

Upvote 0
Everything I've experienced with Pivot Charts ended up in limitations compared to normal charts - leaving me frustrated :(

Therefore now I'm using cube formula when it comes to charting. There you just create your table with just what you need for your chart and: done :)
In your case: Individual lines for your actuals and sum only for your Budget.

If you don't want to go this path: Stick with my example and choose a stacked line. This will give you one line that you want (the highest for your Budget figure) and edit the 2 other indivicually: don't show lines or transparent colour.

Upvote 0
What is a good reference for learning how to use a cube formula in a non-pivot chart. I'm trying to do something similar.

I have a variable number of specimen categories, between 1 and 8 depending on filter, that make up the stacked column series. The x-axis is a pathologist. I want to add a line that is the overall average of the pathologist for that period. I'm at a point of giving up at this point. I can't seem to find a worthwhile solution.

I'm using Excel 2010 btw. I very much like the 2013 set-up, but it hasn't been implemented widely at my org yet (although we do own it :()

Upvote 0
No problem with 2010 - no change in cubefunctions since 2007 :)

Have a look at my post here: https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/F...forexcel#f715d585-9741-42d8-834d-53d474d3150c
also contains link to example file.

Peter Myers Video is excellent: https://channel9.msdn.com/Events/TechEd/NewZealand/2013/DBI304 (just ignore the limitations towards dynamic reports - can be done as you will see in my examples)
also:
Cooking With CUBEs | Excel Do, Dynamic Does
Using Excel CUBE Functions with PowerPivot « PowerPivotPro

In your case:
Drag in as much as you need for your report from your PivotModel, incl. the filters as slicers if you want to keep it interactive.
Design in a way that it resembles your desired report as much as possible.
Convert to cubeformula and add additional columns/fields as you need it (i.e. overall average, if you don't have this in your model), delete what you don't need and create your chart on top.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cdnMech

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back