Funky Power Query / PowerPivot Bug

esadovnic

Hello all,

I have trawled the internet (including this forum) for a solution I could not find. Sorry if it's buried somewhere in the forums here and I simply wasn't thorough enough.

I've been working on three different workbooks that build out a model R.data -> PQ -> PP -> dashboards. All were working fine, then one stopped introducing slicers into the pivots. Interestingly, the other two workbooks ALSO used to function, yet lost insert slicer functionality - and not in an overt, error kind of way, in a 'insert slicer but nothing happens' kind of way.

Digging deeper, I was not able to identify why each workbook broke. I suspected a corrupt data model without a message but all of my data sources refresh and update my reports. I can write new measures, etc., Currently using Win 7 SP1 x64 365 ProPlus x64, so thought "hey maybe there's a problem there" - reinstall didn't work. 100 restarts and workbook reloads/resaves didn't work.

Just before I decided to start all of them from scratch, I pulled up another workbook that's unrelated by any data source of connection. Weirdly, two of the three workbooks could now add slicers and continue working uninterrupted with the 'activator' workbook up. Looking at all of my connections reveals no relation between each book, however slight it may be.

Now I am just stumped. I can keep working on a single workbook while having the 'activator' book up, which taxes my RAM. Or I can rebuild the models from scratch and copy my most important measures, which taxes my life expectancy.

What's the deal here? Has anyone encountered this before?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read this!

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Weird one. i mean, it is certainly NOT unheard of to corrupt a powerpivot workbook, I have seen that a half dozen times this year. So, not "frequent", not not unheard of. But having things magically work if some certain workbook is open...!? That sounds like total magic.

Upvote 0
Quick update:

I have gone through the depths of hell on this issue, yet it persists. I haven't had any luck reaching out to anyone about the issue. The data model corruption occurs workbook to workbook, even on a new data source with everything re-done from scratch. Not sure where my data model becomes corrupt, or how, or why. This is rather disheartening.

Upvote 0
This this appears to be more technical/buggy in nature, you might want to try posting your issue here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...otforexcel&filter=alltypes&sort=firstpostdesc

A have no idea what might be causing this, but I have two questions:

1. Have you figured out what exact steps trigger the "Insert Slicer" to stop working? Does it happen immediately after you add the data source? Does it happen after you save? Or maybe after you save and re-open the workbook?

2. Can you post your specs? Here are mine:

sNWdYt3.png

VVa1lFz.png

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmsotelo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back