Query ODBC data on import

Jeffrey Green

I create a table in a PP Model and I call it ACE.
This table might have 30,000 rows.
I need to connect to the BI ODBC tables (which i can do) and i know how to filter that data, mostly.
What i want to do is only bring in the BI data for the Rows i have in the ACE table, using a Left JOIN, so i can see the missing data.

how can i do that? thanks .

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
Are both your source tables in the odbc db? If so, just write a SQL query to bring in what you need. If not, you can bring big tables into power query and then do the join there.

Upvote 0
No, they are not in the same ODBC. The "ACE" table comes from a report from an entirely different system and is then uploaded via Excel to the seta model. I need to make sure that every record on the ACE report is loaded in our ODBC table by our import department.
So, as I call it, my "LEFT" Table is a spreadsheet that has been loaded into a data model.
thanks

Upvote 0
I need help with the SQL . . . my "ACE" table is not showing up as a table i can join on.

Do you mean inside power query as I suggested? Load it into power query and then save the query so it creates a connection and doesn't load the table. Then create another query for your other table, and use the merge feature of power query to make the join.

Upvote 0
Do you mean inside power query as I suggested? Load it into power query and then save the query so it creates a connection and doesn't load the table. Then create another query for your other table, and use the merge feature of power query to make the join.

good tip, i will try that/ thanks

Upvote 0
Ok, i got PQ to work, almost. I am connecting to an ODBC table with 4 million rows. When i connect to it and choose my columns I put a filter on the date column to only pull in the last 90 days. But whether i load to connection or load to data model, Excel wants to go pull all 4 million rows and takes forever. How do i get PQ to just load the last 90 days' worth of data?
Thanks.

Upvote 0
Are you using the UI? Power Query uses query folding to send a query to the source system. I think odbc is supported. But you must use the UI for every step. If you write a query manually, that query will be sent, but no query folding after that. It is a very complex topic and I am not an expert. :(

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back