Iterate through API and extract fields in Power Query in Power BI

shadyman

I’m trying to get all work items related to a Visual Studio Team Services board. I’m surprised there is no “Get all work items” query in the API that Microsoft has published here: https://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/docs/integrate/api/wit/work-items
So therefore I made a custom query in VSTS where I get all work items from current sprint.
The problem is that Power BI shows the result as following:

HIwCrqh.png

This is sadly not good enough as I have to Navigate into List => Convert to Table => Expand columns and find out that the only thing it shows is ID and URL as this:

ngBwDJp.png

I need to get into the URL and grab hold of the fields in each and every URL like this:

OMnrj6l.png

But this doesn’t seem to be that simple. It is not adequate for me to specify the ID for each element like in the example as this is not scalable:
https://fabrikam-fiber-inc.visualst...wit/workitems?ids=297,299,300&api-version=1.0
I need to iterate on the id of all the elements, combine/concatenate it with the URL at the end in the query so I can access the underlying fields. I have tried to do this with partial success:

8fbJ84d.png

If I click on “Record” it gives me the fields within the specified work item through its ID. This is all good, but I am not able to increment the number. Only the first row is successful, and all other are left as “null”.

I have tried to write some Power Query and looked at the example given from DataChant:
Iterate over dynamic Web API Pages with Power Query - How to resolve Cursor-Based Pagination - DataChant
This is almost the exact same thing as I am trying to do, but I am not experienced in Power Query.
How would I go by fixing this?

This is my query:

Code:
let    Source = Json.Document(Web.Contents("https://dxno.visualstudio.com/DefaultCollection/DX/_apis/wit/wiql/222fd0c3-5ae6-4fad-86e8-23b0fa5fc6e7?api-version=2.2")),
    workItems = Source[workItems],
    #"Converted to Table" = Table.FromList(workItems, Splitter.SplitByNothing(), null, null, ExtraValues.Error),
    #"Expanded Column1" = Table.ExpandRecordColumn(#"Converted to Table", "Column1", {"id", "url"}, {"Column1.id", "Column1.url"}),
    #"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(#"Expanded Column1",{"Column1.url"}),
    #"Renamed Columns" = Table.RenameColumns(#"Removed Columns",{{"Column1.id", "itemNumber"}}),
    #"Changed Type" = Table.TransformColumnTypes(#"Renamed Columns",{{"itemNumber", Int64.Type}}),
    itemNumber = #"Changed Type"[itemNumber],

min = List.Min(itemNumber),
    max = List.Max(itemNumber),
    Variance = max-min,
    CountOfLoops = Number.ToText(Variance),

iterations = Variance,
    url = Text.Combine({"https://dxno.visualstudio.com/DefaultCollection/_apis/wit/workItems/", CountOfLoops}, ""), 

FnGetOnePage =
  (url) as record =>
   let
    Sourcie = Json.Document(Web.Contents(url)),
    fields = try Sourcie[fields] otherwise null,
    res = [Data=fields]
   in
    res,

GeneratedList =
  List.Generate(()=>[i=0, res = FnGetOnePage(url)], 
   each [i]<iterations and="" [res]<="">null,
   each [i=[i]+1, res = FnGetOnePage([res])],
   each [res][Data])
in

GeneratedList
</iterations>

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back