Creating all possible joined text combinations of three tables (Power Query)

didijaba

Hi,
I would like to create table that has all possible combinations of values from three different tables (without changing places of table columns in joined string). So I have one table with list of all countries, second table with months (1-12) and last table with names of people. So my final result would be table with one column and all possible strings in form COUNTRY&MONTH&NAME.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
With regards,

Excel Facts

Create a Pivot Table on a Map
If your data has zip codes, postal codes, or city names, select the data and use Insert, 3D Map. (Found to right of chart icons).
You can use a Many to Many join:

let
//Country Source - Change type - add custom column with 1 for all rows for many to many join
tCountry = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCvVWitUBUsFKsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Country = _t]),
CountryType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(tCountry,{{"Country", type text}}),
CountryCustom = Table.AddColumn(CountryType, "Custom", each 1),

//Month Source - Change type - add custom column with 1 for all rows for many to many join
tMonth = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSK1YlWMgKTxmDSBEyagkkzMGkOJi3ApCWYNDSAUBDdhkDtsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Month = _t]),
MonthType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(tMonth,{{"Month", Int64.Type}}),
MonthCustom = Table.AddColumn(MonthType, "Custom", each 1),

//Name Source - Change type - add custom column with 1 for all rows for many to many join
tName = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcspPUorViVZySSxLBTOCE/NSihKVYmMB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t]),
NameType = Table.TransformColumnTypes(tName,{{"Name", type text}}),
NameCustom = Table.AddColumn(NameType, "Custom", each 1),

MergeCountryMonth = Table.NestedJoin(CountryCustom,{"Custom"},MonthCustom,{"Custom"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
ShowMonth = Table.ExpandTableColumn(MergeCountryMonth, "NewColumn", {"Month"}, {"NewColumn.Month"}),
MergeWithName = Table.NestedJoin(ShowMonth,{"Custom"},Name,{"Custom"},"NewColumn",JoinKind.LeftOuter),
ShowName = Table.ExpandTableColumn(MergeWithName, "NewColumn", {"Name"}, {"NewColumn.Name"}),
#"Removed Columns" = Table.RemoveColumns(ShowName,{"Custom"}),
#"Inserted Merged Column" = Table.AddColumn(#"Removed Columns", "Merged", each Text.Combine({Text.From([Country], "en-GB"), Text.From([NewColumn.Month], "en-GB"), Text.From([NewColumn.Name], "en-GB")}, ""), type text),
#"Removed Other Columns" = Table.SelectColumns(#"Inserted Merged Column",{"Merged"})
in
#"Removed Other Columns"

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Code:
let

fxExpand = (tbl as table, headers as list, n as number) =>
       let
         Expand = Table.ExpandListColumn(tbl, headers{n}),
         Condition = if n = List.Count(headers)-1 then Expand else @fxExpand(Expand, headers, n+1)
       in
         Condition,

lstCountry = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCvVWitUBUsFKsbEA", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Country = _t])[Country],
    lstMonth = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WMlSK1YlWMgKTxmDSBEyagkkzMGkOJi3ApCWYNDSAUBDdhkDtsQA=", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Month = _t])[Month],
    lstName = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WcspPUorViVZySSxLBTOCE/NSihKVYmMB", BinaryEncoding.Base64), Compression.Deflate)), let _t = ((type text) meta [Serialized.Text = true]) in type table [Name = _t])[Name],
    TblToExpand = Table.FromColumns({{lstCountry},{lstMonth},{lstName}}, {"Country","Month","Name"}),
    HeadersToExpand = Table.ColumnNames(TblToExpand),
    ExpandAll = fxExpand(TblToExpand, HeadersToExpand, 0),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(ExpandAll,{"Country", "Month", "Name"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("", QuoteStyle.None),"Result")
in
    #"Merged Columns"

Upvote 0
Hi billszysz,
can you be so kind and explain to me part with "lstCountry = Table.FromRows(Json.Document(Binary.Decompress(Binary.FromText("i45WCvVWitUBUsFKsbEA....". How did you come to that? Thanks for everything so far, I learned a lot :).

Upvote 0
Can you you do me one more favor? How would script look if I used known tables from excel file? I have tables named COUNTRY, MONTH,NAME and I would like for combined table to self correct (expand) when new values are added to COUNTRY, MONTH,NAME tables. Thanks in advance

Upvote 0
You only need to amend the data sources in billszysz answer:

This assumes you have three tables:
Table1 is called "CountryTbl" and has a column "Country"
Table2 is called "MonthTbl" and has a column "Month"
Table3 is called "NameTbl" and has a column "Name"
Rich (BB code):
let

fxExpand = (tbl as table, headers as list, n as number) =>
       let
         Expand = Table.ExpandListColumn(tbl, headers{n}),
         Condition = if n = List.Count(headers)-1 then Expand else @fxExpand(Expand, headers, n+1)
       in
         Condition,

lstCountry = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="CountyTbl"]}[Content][Country],
    lstMonth = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="MonthTbl"]}[Content][Month],
    lstName = Excel.CurrentWorkbook(){[Name="NameTbl"]}[Content][Name],
    TblToExpand = Table.FromColumns({{lstCountry},{lstMonth},{lstName}}, {"Country","Month","Name"}),
    HeadersToExpand = Table.ColumnNames(TblToExpand),
    ExpandAll = fxExpand(TblToExpand, HeadersToExpand, 0),
    #"Merged Columns" = Table.CombineColumns(ExpandAll,{"Country", "Month", "Name"},Combiner.CombineTextByDelimiter("", QuoteStyle.None),"Result")
in
    #"Merged Columns"

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moonlight6

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back