question on measures

wiz329

Hi guys, I'm fairly competent with excel (array formulas, macros, etc.), but new to powerpivot. I'm wondering if it's possible to do the following:

My data structure is as follows (give or take with table relationships etc. removed for simplicity):

Group NamePart Name
Transaction IDQuantityTotal Price
Group A
Part AOID12310$20
Group APart AOID12415$5
Group APart BOID12520$30
Group APart BOID12615$15
Group BPart COID12710$35
Group BPart COID1285$30
Group BPart DOID12910$10
Group BPart DOID13015$25

<tbody>
</tbody>

Basically, I'm trying to create a measure that will do the following:

First, I need to aggregate to an average selling price at the part level (not transaction price). So, I'm pretty sure the measure I would write would be the following: Average Selling Price = SUM ([Total Price]) / SUM([Quantity]).

The next part is to find percentiles, maxes, and mins of these part-level ASPs.

So, I need to find the 90th p-tile (or median, max, etc.) of all of the Average Selling Price Values for each part (*not* transaction) for each group.

In this case, then, to find the MAX ASP for all parts in Group A, I would do the following:
1. Find ASP for Part A and Part B.
Part A = ($20+$5)/(10+15) = $1.00
Part B = ($30+$15)/(20+15) = $1.29​
2. So the MAX would be $1.29. MAX{$1.00,$1.29}

Is there a way to do this in a scalable way with measures?

Excel Facts

How can you turn a range sideways?
Copy the range. Select a blank cell. Right-click, Paste Special, then choose Transpose.
I don't know what measures are. Can't help you on this otherwise. Formulas or VBA: yes. Measure? no. never heard of it.

Upvote 0
Hi wiz329,

Assuming you have defined an [Average Selling Price] measure, you can then use iterator functions to calculate average/max/min, using VALUES ( YourTable[Part Name] ) as the first argument for the iterators.

For the average & max, the pattern would look like this:

Code:
Average Selling Price By Part
=
AVERAGEX (
    VALUES ( YourTable[Part Name] ),
    [Average Selling Price]
)

Code:
Maximum Selling Price By Part
=
MAXX (
    VALUES ( YourTable[Part Name] ),
    [Average Selling Price]
)

If you create a PivotTable with, say, Group on the rows, these measures would give you the average/max for Parts within each Group.

In Excel 2010/2013, the iterators available include AVERAGEX, MAXX, MINX, STDEVX.P, STDEVX.S, VARX.P, VARX.S.

Unfortunately PERCENTILEX.INC, PERCENTILEX.EXC, MEDIANX (and maybe some others I've missed) were only introduced in Excel 2016 (and Power BI).

Check out DAX Patterns for ways to define these yourself:
Statistical Patterns – DAX Patterns

Owen :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try this:
1. Create the following measures:

SumPriceParts:=CALCULATE( SUM( [Total Price]); ALLEXCEPT(YourTable; YourTable[Part Name]))
SumQuantityParts:=CALCULATE( SUM( [Quantity]); ALLEXCEPT(YourTable; YourTable[Part Name]))
MaxPriceGroup:=CALCULATE( MAX( [ASP]); ALLEXCEPT(YourTable; YourTable[Group Name]))

2. Add "ASP" column:

=[SumPriceParts]/[SumQuantityParts]

3. Create Pivot Table with ROWS

- Group Name, Part Name and ASP

4. In Ʃ VALUES add MaxPriceGroup

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Try this:

SumPriceParts:=CALCULATE( SUM( [Total Price]); ALLEXCEPT(YourTable; YourTable[Part Name]))
SumQuantityParts:=CALCULATE( SUM( [Quantity]); ALLEXCEPT(YourTable; YourTable[Part Name]))
MaxPriceGroup:=CALCULATE( MAX( [ASP]); ALLEXCEPT(YourTable; YourTable[Group Name]))

2. Add "ASP" column:

Hey guys, thanks for the input! I haven't had a chance to take a look yet, but really appreciate your responses. I'll let you know how it goes!

Upvote 0
Try this:

2. Add "ASP" column:

Quick tactical question -- what do the semicolons do in a measure? I'm working my way through Rob Collie's book on PowerPivot, but haven't run into this yet.

EDIT: Ahh, I see it's just an alternative to using commas. What's the advantage?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not based on advantages/disadvantages. They are used as argument separators determined by locality of install. USA and UK use comma's I think. Everywhere else they use semi-colons. similar to MM/DD/YYYY versus DD/MM/YYYY for dates.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
denissimo

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back