Recipients of power pivots: can you block out the power window?

This is a discussion on Recipients of power pivots: can you block out the power window? within the PowerPivot Questions forums, part of the Question Forums category; Since I just read the post about recipients needing the plug-in or sharepoint ---at 90 mb a bit more for ...

Board Regular

Default Recipients of power pivots: can you block out the power window?

Since I just read the post about recipients needing the plug-in or sharepoint ---at 90 mb a bit more for IT to deal with and it took me 2 hours to get the upgrade working yes---is there a way to block the pv icon from showing? In code, in macro not sure but my end-users do not need to "use" power pivot, they just need to slice and dice as they are in sales and get confused and protest easily. A Verticalc plug-in sort of like Access had for non-users as I remember would be great MS.

So yes, they need to slice and dice but do not need to see the window and forbid the curious open it and hit refresh, I assume even more errors and a reason to reject the process. I guess that's the last time I don't read the fine print behind "available to distribute like normal Excel workbooks" ...but with limited functionality. What would be the point of distributing a flat non-interactive file? You could just paste it in a normal workbook if they just needed one set of results/data.
    Last edited by pete234; Apr 24th, 2012 at 09:27 PM.

Board Regular

Default Re: Recipients of power pivots: can you block out the power window?

You can certainly install the addin, then disable it. At that point, the engine is installed so slice and dice works fine (since disabling the addin does NOT disable the engine), but the PowerPivot ribbon tab won't show up at all.

Does that sound about right?

Board Regular

Default Re: Recipients of power pivots: can you block out the power window?

thanks I will look into it should the cause arise.
    For right now I'm assembling the data and then copying out to a regular workbook.
    Not ideal but the relationships ties are what's keeping me interested.
    Saves many vlookups and aligns some data very nicely.

Like this thread? Share it with others

Like this thread? Share it with others