SUMX until

Salle

Hello,

Does anybody know if there is a way to create an iteration with an exit block in DAX?

I want to create a measurement for DSO (Days of Sales Outstanding).
It uses two amounts: accounts receivable (AR) in current month and sales, and it adds the sales amount for each month until it exceeds the amount of accounts receivable.

For example:
- AR is 1000 in April.
- Sales is 500 in April, 300 in March and 400 in February.

In this scenario the measurement should iterate until February.

I have been experimenting with SUMX and SUMMARIZE but it haven't worked out.

If someone has any tip or pointer to a solution i would be very grateful! Have been struggling with this for a long time!

Cheers!

Excel Facts

Wildcard in VLOOKUP
Use =VLOOKUP("Apple*" to find apple, Apple, or applesauce
Not sure if this will help but, could you use CALCULATE with DATESBETWEEN and create a FIRSTDATE LASTDATE for your betweeners?

Upvote 0
Yikes. This one is really tricky. I like it! :)

So, the short answer is "no", there is no cute way to "break out" of a measure. We HAVE to find a way to filter this data, and like GRRIII is suggesting, it is likely by dates.

It's like we are trying to write something like: =CALCULATE([WhateverMeasure], FILTER(ALL(Calendar), SUM(Sales[TheSales]) >= AR[TheAr]))

But that would give us no "ordering" (and probably isn't even valid dax :))

My gut is to use ADDCOLUMNS to dynamically create the running total, then use that... somehow? But this is tricky enough that it will take me some time, and I just have too much client work this week :(

Somebody flesh this out for me :)

Upvote 0
Hello!

Thanks for the replies!

Yes, i could use the DATESBETWEEN function, however i would need to make the FIRSTDATE function dynamic.
If there is a way to make a counter for how many months to iterate i could place it in a PARALLELPERIOD, however finding the way to make the counter is the tricky part.

I havent tried ADDCOLUMNS, but I will definetly try it! Like you say scottsen, it should be some sort of running total.

The experimenting continues...:)

P.S. is there a way to view the table data types? It would be much easier to see the tables that are generated in functions such as SUMMARIZE etc.
I have tried DAX Studio but i cant get it to work.

Upvote 0
DAX Studio is probably the easiest way. But if you are using 2013, you can also use the technique I blogged about here: TopN as viewed by DAX Table Queries « PowerPivotPro

I suspect that "in the end" you will not want a (static) calculated column, but you might start there for your running total. Then convert that to an ADDCOLUMNS style measure once you get that going?

Upvote 0
Exactly like that, mapping each row to a monthid determined by Sales and AR!

So, to create it dynamically, the table generated by the measurement should look like it does in the PP-window in your excelfile.

I will use your file and build on the idea that you've started! I will try the ADDCOLUMNS measure. Very helpful, thank you so much for taking your time with this!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hi!
I finally solved it!

Here is the DAX formula:

=SUMX(
ADDCOLUMNS(
FILTER(
GENERATE(
SUMMARIZE(ALL(D_Tid);D_Tid[DATE];"sales";[SALES]);
SUMMARIZE(D_Tid;D_Tid[DATE2]));
ISBLANK(D_Tid[DATE]) = FALSE() &&
ISBLANK(D_Tid[DATE2]) = FALSE() &&
(EDATE(D_Tid[DATE];5) >= EDATE(D_Tid[DATE2];0) &&
EDATE(D_Tid[DATE];0) <= EDATE(D_Tid[DATE2];0)));
"rest";CALCULATE([REST_AMOUNT];DATESBETWEEN(D_Tid[DATUM];D_Tid[DATE2];D_Tid[DATE2]));
"cumusales";CALCULATE([sales];DATESBETWEEN(D_Tid[DATUM];D_Tid[DATE];D_Tid[DATE2])));
IF([cumusales] > [rest];0;1))

It creates two tables which produces another table through the GENERATE function (a cartesian product). The filter function removes all blank and unwanted rows so it leaves a table with three columns:

-All months to be included
-Sales for these months
-The base month on which to calculate DSO

Then i put in two additional columns:

-Rest amount for base month
-Cumulative sales

Finally, SUMX adds a "1" for each time the cumulative sales does not exceed the rest amount and "0" for each time it does. This can be regarded as some sort of substitute to "Exit for" in VBA in a for loop :)

Basically, the function creates a counter for how far back to add the sales amount.

I restricted the function to only go 6 months back.

Nice to have finally solved it, been struggling with this for a while! (y)

/Daniel

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennimack

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back