Data modelling - Old data with Hourly data

Paul91S

Hi,
I'm trying to mash two extracts of data together. The first is from a Teradata Warehouse which contains data from the day before, and updates daily. The second extract is a txt file that is produced hourly with intra day updates.
The main things that change in the data is dates and times (i.e. the date and time will be populated when the task is completed).
I've loaded both of these connections into Power Pivot and created a relationship based on the primary key on both extracts being the same.
I'd now like to put the two sources together to provide an up-to-date snapshot of the data.
What's the best way to go about this? I've thought about just having a series of IF statements in one of the extracts to bring back the latest information from the other extract (if anything has changed).
I've also been looking into creating a perspective, but I'm not sure how to start and can't find much in terms of documentation.
If anyone can assist me that would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,
Paul

Excel Facts

Bring active cell back into view
Start at A1 and select to A9999 while writing a formula, you can't see A1 anymore. Press Ctrl+Backspace to bring active cell into view.
Can you provide an extract or an example from these both tables as this might determin what is the best way to put the sources together ? If its just a few columns to compare like your task completed date and time I would just create a pivot table out of the data model and pull both data columns in the Pivot and write a measure in the pivot to show me the delta. If its more columns that change I would go with some calculated columns with IF statements and RELATED() to pull the updated values from the hourly in the daily table, maybe add a column that tells me it has been updated or not that I could use in a slicer later in a pivot table to show only what has changed

Upvote 0
Thanks for your reply.
Table A below is the Daily snapshot data.
ID
Start Date
End Date
12/07/2014
23/07/2014
15/07/2014
16/07/2014
23/07/2014
26/07/2014
24/07/2014
25/07/2014
<tbody> </tbody>

Table B has similar columns but is refreshed hourly.
ID
Start Date
End Date
25/07/2014
01/08/2014
24/07/2014
29/07/2014
31/07/2014
15/08/2014
16/08/2014
19/08/2014
<tbody> </tbody>

As can be seen from above, Table A can have IDs that don’t appear in B (they may have completed), and Table B can have IDs that don’t appear in A (they may have just been created in the past hour).
I would need to be able to see all of these IDs in one table together.
ID# 1236 appears in both tables so a relationship between the two tables would join on this one, and using IF(RELATED formula I could get the changes in the start and end date.
In the actual data there are more columns then this which would need ‘updating’ through this model (planned/actual/schedule/estimated start and end dates).
If I base the IF statements in table A , I won’t be able to get the IDs that only appear in table B, likewise if the IF statements were in table B.
I hope this helps to explain, basically I think I need a lookup table for all existing IDs that can join to both tables. But as the two lists of IDs come from two different sources I’m not sure how to get a lookup table.

Upvote 0
Depending on which Excelversion you have you could use PowerQuery or something like that to join the IDs from both extracts. In the 2010 version I have that is not available and I would go to our IT BI guys to provide me that unique ID list as a 3rd database extract (should be no big deal with SQL).

With an ID table you could relate all columns from the hourly table to the ID and IF nothing is in hourly than take the daily list

Upvote 0
Hi Tianbas,
Thank you for your response.
I'm working on Excel 2013, so I could potentially user PowerQuery (the company I work for have a slight issue with the Teradata connectivity using Power Query so it hasn't been rolled out company wide, though I am able to connect to it).

So just to confirm, it doesn't look like it's fully possible to combine the two IDs into one table using Power Pivot?

How would I go about it in Power Query? I tried using Append but it seemed to want to append the entirity of both datasets, not just the column I needed.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Armadillos

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back