How to calculate working hours?

Mer333

Board Regular
Hello again guys!

Today I have a really unusual task. =)

I have 2 date columns - start date and finish date accordingly.

I want to calculate a mathematical difference between these dates in a third column, but without taking free (non working) time into consideration.

For instance, if start date is something like 3 pm friday and finishing date is 12 am monday then having an eight-hours working day we will get 7 working hours.

If it's too difficult as a last resort we could just not count Saturday and Sunday.

Last edited:

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
I want to calculate a mathematical difference between these dates in a third column, but without taking free (non working) time into consideration.
So what are the working days, or rather, what defines the non-working time?

For instance, if start date is something like 3 pm friday and finishing date is 12 am monday then having an eight-hours working day we will get 7 working hours.
By standard (US) definition of a working day, it's 9am-5pm, Mon-Fri. What definition are you going by here? 12am Monday is outside of working hours as far as I know. If you mean "12pm" instead, then it's only 3-5 on Friday (2hrs) and 9-12 on Monday (3hrs) for a total of 5 hours.

If it's too difficult as a last resort we could just not count Saturday and Sunday.
In what way are we counting them, were we to do so?

I'm unclear. Sorry if I come off obtuse.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So what are the working days, or rather, what defines the non-working time?
I suppose it should be customizable parameter.

By standard (US) definition of a working day, it's 9am-5pm, Mon-Fri. What definition are you going by here? 12am Monday is outside of working hours as far as I know. If you mean "12pm" instead, then it's only 3-5 on Friday (2hrs) and 9-12 on Monday (3hrs) for a total of 5 hours.
Yeah, here is a little mistake from me. =) The fact is that non-working hours is very variable especially if we will take official holidays into consideration.

In what way are we counting them, were we to do so?
Maybe I was a bit inaccurate in the first description. If we calculating difference between two dates, than Saturday and Sunday counting by default.

I'm unclear. Sorry if I come off obtuse.
It's ok, we all people here. =)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Think I am with iliace here, in that we would need to firm up the requirements or... something.

If you were asking a specific question like "I have a table that stores all of our holidays, and we always exclude Sat/Sun... how do I calculate the number of hours between two dates..." I think we could help.

eg, we could count the number of rows in a holidays table that lie in between the Start/End in your "Working" table.

=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Holidays), FILTER(Holidays, Holidays[Date] >= Working[StartDate] && Holidays[Date] <= Working[EndDate]))

And subtract off that #... times 8 or 24, or whatever, from the End-Start calc?

Upvote 0
=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Holidays), FILTER(Holidays, Holidays[Date] >= Working[StartDate] && Holidays[Date] <= Working[EndDate]))

And subtract off that #... times 8 or 24, or whatever, from the End-Start calc?

Yeah, you are genius. It's totally solved excluding holidays and also Sat/Sun if we have all of them also in Holidays[Date] column. So after this operation we have hours of working days remain. But question of excluding non-working hours from working days is still open.

Upvote 0
You could certainly just modify the filter to exclude weekends... eg:

=CALCULATE(COUNTROWS(Holidays), FILTER(Holidays, Holidays[Date] >= Working[StartDate] && Holidays[Date] <= Working[EndDate] && Calendar[ShortDayOfWeekName] <> "Sat"))

For the non-working hours, realize that dates are just stored as a number... with "1" representing a full day. So, Feb 14 3:00pm to Feb 14, 3:00pm should be just 0.5. So, this should all be just a straight "math problem". Subtract, done.

Upvote 0
Could you please be a little more specific? How can we subtract non-working hours? If, for example, we have a working hours from 9am to 5pm.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Go try it, you will see what I mean.

Create a sample table with two columns: 1/4/2010 5pm and 1/5/2010 7pm... then a calculated column that subtracts them. You will get 1.08. Which is your total time in days.

And indeed =([Column2]-[Column1])*24 will give you... 26. As in hours.

Upvote 0
Go try it, you will see what I mean.

Create a sample table with two columns: 1/4/2010 5pm and 1/5/2010 7pm... then a calculated column that subtracts them. You will get 1.08. Which is your total time in days.

And indeed =([Column2]-[Column1])*24 will give you... 26. As in hours.

Yeah... But how to figure out how many non-working hours there are in each period if they all have different start and end dates, in purpose to subtract them?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back