Summing of Duration (time) data

Todgley

I have a model in powerpivot that has a column that is storing duration data in the format "dd/mm/yy hh:mm:ss)

When I try to create a measure to sum the duration, the answer is different to a simple sum in the source spreadsheet.

I have applied the same cell formatting ([h]:mm) but the pivot table seems to have different values depending in if the duration is longer than 24 hours.

Any ideas on what is going wrong and how I can sum duration data.

Example showing problem: http://1drv.ms/1tJUA9X

Excel Facts

How to fill five years of quarters?
Type 1Q-2023 in a cell. Grab the fill handle and drag down or right. After 4Q-2023, Excel will jump to 1Q-2024. Dash can be any character.
I have a model where I show total time in 24:00:00 format by dividing my total time by 24 and then applying the 24:00:00 formatting in the Pivot.

I don't get days though, the values show up as 01/01/1900 dates but, it seems you could calculate number of days easily enough from there and then CONCATENATE them together.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply - I was hoping there would be a native way of doing this - it feels like a common scenario!

Upvote 0
Hi Scott and thanks for the reply.

The data is an export from another system which don't have control over. From what I can work out, the duration is all relative a zero date of 00/01/1900 00:00. So 00/01/1900 08:00 is 8 hour duration and 01/01/1900 08:00 is 32 hours duration.

If the cell is formatted as [h]:mm – it is presented fine in Excel.

The problem I am having is that in PowerPivot 00/01/1900 00:00 seems to change to a 30/12/1899 reference date. I am not sure why this is but it seems to screw around with some of the durations, effectively adding 24 hours to some of the entries.

Upvote 0
I have to admit, it certainly LOOKS like there is a bug in power pivot here when I was just playing with this a bit... lemme get back to you :)

Upvote 0
I have to admit, it certainly LOOKS like there is a bug in power pivot here when I was just playing with this a bit... lemme get back to you :)

Ah - that is interesting to hear!

I have found a work around in that if I create a calculated column that basically subtracts 1 from any duration value (in decimal format) >1. This means corrects the problem I was having where an extra 24 hours was being added to the longer duration entries (>24 hours)

I want to put my data in powerview so converting to hours might make more sense going forwards.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back