msoButton[Up|Down] as cell format toggle

ozNoz

Board Regular
There are a number of refs in previous posts about toggle buttons for worksheet states, but I couldn't find any way to have a custom menu button toggle up/down according to the highlighted cell formatting, as many standard buttons do (Bold, Center, borders &c.).
I've got as far as depressing the button when applying certain formats, and raise it when removing, but changing the active cell doesn't update the button state, so moving from a cell I just formatted to one that is not leaves the button (and me) depressed :cry:
How does Excel do this? How do I? It would seem overkill to check the cell formatting on each worksheet_change...

Thanks all,
ozNoz (wants toast :p )

Excel Facts

Control Word Wrap
Press Alt+Enter to move to a new row in a cell. Lets you control where the words wrap.
Yep - you're going to have to check on each Selection Change event and update the state of the button (unless Ivan or one of the other API wizards around here know something better).

FWIW - congrats on getting as far as you did - that's a feat in and of itself.

Upvote 0
Greg, I wish I could say I got there myself, but without your posts I'd be stuck with Excel / VBE help, and we all know that's no fun. I'd been through that thread a couple times, and gained much from so doing.
I can't say enough good things about the time and effort all you folks put into this board. I don't doubt that for every new post, there are ten questions that are answered with a quick search and I guess it's rare that people get thanked for those; :pray:

It's Friday and I'm all warm and fuzzy, apparently.

Upvote 0
Well, the thing is that Excel doesn't expose any events when the format changes. So the *best* if that can be said, is to use either (or all) the _Change, _SelectionChange, _Calculate events to check the slection's format.

The main issue that this creates is overhead to the workbook, especially if you use the _Calculate event.

Now, question... how are you changing the format or what format are you changing ?

Upvote 0
Sorry, Oz, so you really want to do this... okay (yuck but here it is...)

You'll need to create a class module (probably in your Personal Macro Workbook) - let's call it clsExcelApp - with a public variable along the lines of:

Public WithEvents MyApp As Application

Also in the class module you'll want to create your needed event handler:

Private Sub MyApp_SheetSelectionChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
...your code here to find the button and update its state...
End Sub

And then (again, in your Personal Workbook) you need to create an instance of your class and an instance of your App object variable:

In the declarations section in Personal WB code module:

Dim MyXL As New clsExcelApp

And in the Personal WB's open method:

Set MyXL.MyApp = Application

I think that's about right... Like JPG said - overhead here - especially considering we're looking at intercepting the SelectionChange event, which happens all the time...

Upvote 0
Juan, the format is simply adding (or removing) internal diagonal borders in a cell, creating a checkmark effect. Here's what I have so far:
Code:
Sub xCheck(Optional ByVal rngTarget As Range)
'
' adds diagonal in-cell borders (X) to cell
' activated on cell entry of "x", "X" or by custom button
'
    Dim xCheckButton As CommandBarButton
    Dim intLineStyle As Integer

If Not rngTarget Is Nothing Then rngTarget.Select
    If Selection.Column > 3 Then
        Application.ScreenUpdating = False
        ActiveSheet.Unprotect
        Set xCheckButton = Application.CommandBars.ActionControl
        If Not xCheckButton Is Nothing Then _
            xCheckButton.State = IIf(xCheckButton.State = msoButtonDown, msoButtonUp, msoButtonDown)
        intLineStyle = IIf(Selection.Borders(xlDiagonalUp).LineStyle = xlNone, xlContinuous, xlNone)
        With Selection
            .ClearContents
            .Borders(xlDiagonalUp).LineStyle = intLineStyle
            .Borders(xlDiagonalDown).LineStyle = intLineStyle
        End With
        ActiveSheet.Protect
        Application.ScreenUpdating = True
    End If
End Sub
I also have a call in worksheet_change:
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
    If Target.Value = "x" Or Target.Value = "X" Then xCheck Target
End Sub
Almost everything works as I wished, except that the toggle button doesn't toggle when changing cells, or (I've just realozed) if the macro fires from Worksheet_Change.

Upvote 0
Oz,

I think I've misunderstood...

Is this a toolbar button you have added to a toolbar that will always be visible, i.e. on the "Standard" or "Formatting" toolbars? Or is this on a Custom Toolbar that will only be visible when this particular workbook is open? I had thought we were talking the former. If it's the latter, then my last post is not relevent in this context.

Upvote 0
no Greg, you're right: the button sits on my formatting toolbar, and would be handy to have available for all sheets, but I'm starting to think from your last suggestions that it may be more trouble than it's worth. After all, the button works, it just doesn't look very pretty. :biggrin: Plus, even after all that if anyone else wants to use the same forms they have to go through all that too, I assume? Hmm...
I'll have a look at the class stuff and see how we go, but many thanks already to you and Juan for your input.

Upvote 0
Oz,

Just thought you might find this interesting. It's from a Customs Form I did a few years back. I needed to duplicate the look of the Customs Form which was a small, graphical square that, when checked, needed to display an "×". Anyway - just for reference...

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'==============================================================================</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> ManipulateBox()
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'------------------------------------------------------------------------------</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   The various checkboxes are composed of a rectangle object and a group object</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   The group is two lines that form the "X".</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Objects can be assigned macros.  The various rectangles on the template have</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   been assigned a corresponding macro in this module.  When AddNew216 copies</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   the template worksheet, the objects are copied along with their properties,</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   including macro assignments.  The copying process generates default object</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   names that are different than the names for the same object on the template</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   worksheet.</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   The various line groups are giving default names that correspond to the</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   programming below.  The object on the template itself have other names, so</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   clicking the boxes there will sometimes fail, sometimes it will cause the "X"</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   in a different box to appear/disappear.</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Resume</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN>
    ActiveSheet.Shapes("Group 13").Line.Visible = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> ActiveSheet.Shapes("Group 13").Line.Visible
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN>

<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'==============================================================================</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> ManufactureBox()
    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">On</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Error</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Resume</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN>
    ActiveSheet.Shapes("Group 10").Line.Visible = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> ActiveSheet.Shapes("Group 10").Line.Visible

<SPAN style="color:#007F00">'==============================================================================</SPAN>
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> ExhibitBox()
    ActiveSheet.Shapes("Group 7").Line.Visible = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> ActiveSheet.Shapes("Group 7").Line.Visible

<SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> DestroyBox()
    ActiveSheet.Shapes("Group 4").Line.Visible = <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Not</SPAN> ActiveSheet.Shapes("Group 4").Line.Visible
<SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back