Pulling Nonzero Values from a Column

mikesanto

Here's my problem. I have a column of roughly 1100 cells of data. Through a series of formulae and logic, I've reduced it to an identically sized column with most of the values zero, and 10-15 nonzero. What I want to do is pull all the nonzero values out of this column and record them in the next column over. I realize I could do this just by sorting the data, but I'd like to know if there's a way I can have excel do this step for me.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
Hello Mike, welcome to MrExcel

I presume you want to put these values in one 10-15 cell range rather than separated by blanks?

assuming your data is in A1:A1200 then you could record all the non-zero numbers in descending order with this formula in B1 copied down to B20 or as far as you might need

=IF(COUNTIF(A$1:A$1200,">0")< ROWS(B$1:B1),"",LARGE(A$1:A$1200,ROWS(B$1:B1)))

or, if you want to show the numbers in the order they appear in the column try this formula

=IF(ROWS(B$1:B1)>COUNTIF(A$1:A$1200,">0"),"",INDEX(A$1:A$1200,SMALL(IF(A$1:A$1200>0,ROW(A$1:A$1200)-ROW(A$1)+1),ROWS(B$1:B1))))

This second one needs to be confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

edit: I'm assuming all your "nonzero" numbers are positive....or is that not the case?

Upvote 0
mikesanto

Welcome to the MrExcel board!

You didn't really make it clear if you wanted the numbers sorted or if that just happens to be the result of using a particular method. Anyway, here is another way. It may not suit because it also required manual steps, unlike Barry's, but you can decide.

I have set up dummy formulas in column E to get a list like you described. To get the list shown in column G, follow these steps:
1. Ensure heading in col E
2. Set up F1:F2 as shown
3. Select column E by clicking its heading label.
4. Data|Filter|Advanced Filter...|Copy to another location|Criteria range: F1:F2|Copy to: G1|OK

Excel Workbook
DEFG
1NumbersNumbersNumbers
500-23
8-23-23
Non Zero Value

Upvote 0
I was able to use Barry's 2nd formula and it worked great, but I also want to bring in a corresponding date to my number that is in another column. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Upvote 0
Hello Mike, welcome to MrExcel

I presume you want to put these values in one 10-15 cell range rather than separated by blanks?

assuming your data is in A1:A1200 then you could record all the non-zero numbers in descending order with this formula in B1 copied down to B20 or as far as you might need

=IF(COUNTIF(A$1:A$1200,">0")< ROWS(B$1:B1),"",LARGE(A$1:A$1200,ROWS(B$1:B1)))

or, if you want to show the numbers in the order they appear in the column try this formula

=IF(ROWS(B$1:B1)>COUNTIF(A$1:A$1200,">0"),"",INDEX(A$1:A$1200,SMALL(IF(A$1:A$1200>0,ROW(A$1:A$1200)-ROW(A$1)+1),ROWS(B$1:B1))))

This second one needs to be confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER

edit: I'm assuming all your "nonzero" numbers are positive....or is that not the case?

Hi

Just wondering how you would change the second formula to include negative numbers as well?

:confused:

Upvote 0
Hi

Just wondering how you would change the second formula to include negative numbers as well?

:confused:

In the IF statement, where the logical test now reads as "IF(COUNTIF(A$1:A$1200,">0")," instead of ">0" [greater than zero], use "<>0" [not equal to zero].

Years too late, but there it is.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back