Can't edit comments - SOLVED!

rifpool

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
What a easy fix! I'm using Excel 2000 (I know, a dinosaur) and have tons of comments (1500+). Just started to work on my file this morning and realized that I could edit some comments but others I couldn't.

If this has happened to you...
You can see comments, but when you click "Edit comments" you can't see the comment box.

How to fix! Say your comment is in column C, goto the top cell with a comment in that column. Drag that column out to make it wider, then click "Edit Comment." You should see that its "underneath" that cell. Drag the comment box out to the right. Fix your column width. This also fixed ALL the rest of my uneditable comments.

Excel Facts

Can a formula spear through sheets?
Use =SUM(January:December!E7) to sum E7 on all of the sheets from January through December
i dont know how could that problem solved with this basic solution but that is amazing !!! could you please explain me how did it work ? i am really shocked and i dont understant anythink about the machanism of this solution =)) thanks a lot dude !

Upvote 0
i dont know how could that problem solved with this basic solution but that is amazing !!! could you please explain me how did it work ? i am really shocked and i dont understant anythink about the machanism of this solution =)) thanks a lot dude !
This problem has bugged myself and others for along time. I fixed it before by just redoing all the comments.

This spreadsheet had probably a 1000+ comments on it. To many to redo. Over the course of a few days of trying everything unsuccessfully I once again right clicked on a cell and I couldn't see anything. I thought something like, "It's in edit comment mode but its just hidden from me." So then I started thinking, "Where is it hidden." That's when I dragged out the cell, and voilà, there it was.

Upvote 0
I know this is an old post but hey it's an old problem !!

Just had to send out a quick thanks to rifpool for this fix. Same problem has 'bugged' me for years now, 'bugged' being the operative word as I assumed that's what it was, and hence unfix-able. I could always work around the problem by first using "Show Comment" and then click in the box to edit, but what a PITA !. Nice work in finding this fix :)

Upvote 0
What a easy fix! I'm using Excel 2000 (I know, a dinosaur) and have tons of comments (1500+). Just started to work on my file this morning and realized that I could edit some comments but others I couldn't.

If this has happened to you...
You can see comments, but when you click "Edit comments" you can't see the comment box.

How to fix! Say your comment is in column C, goto the top cell with a comment in that column. Drag that column out to make it wider, then click "Edit Comment." You should see that its "underneath" that cell. Drag the comment box out to the right. Fix your column width. This also fixed ALL the rest of my uneditable comments.

Thank you!!! It's many years since your original post, and your solution worked like a charm for me in MS Excel 2010.

Upvote 0
Thank you!!! It's many years since your original post, and your solution worked like a charm for me in MS Excel 2010.

Amazing, just registered my account to say thanks... I can't believe such bug still exists in Excel 2016. And your solution still works like a charm.

Upvote 0
I'll repeat what the others said: Amazing !!! I've been having this problem for months now in a spreadsheet (Office 2016 Pro Professional) that has tens of thumbnails end thousands of comments, and every time I start masking columns or lines, an unexplainable amount of comments become ''invisible to modification'' or get moved around all over that particular page.

I tried everything: un-masking columns, changing column widths, line heights, nothing works (or at least not all the time). I had to create a ''auto-size'' macro for the comments to at least see them, but still couldn't modify them. Then I clicked on ''view all comments'', went back to that field, could finally access it to copy-paste it back on itself after deletion, but what a hassle !

But selecting the field, moving it elsewhere (by dragging it) and bringing it back to it's original location solves it every time !!! ?

Now tell me how I can do this just once in a page to fix all the comments for this page, instead of one at a time, and I'll be forever grateful !

But even if not, THANK YOU ANYWAY !!!

Upvote 0
Hello, RayHeb.

Having had the same problem in a huge spreadsheet, I simply followed rifpool's instructions to the letter:

"Drag that column out to make it wider, then click "Edit Comment." You should see that its "underneath" that cell. Drag the comment box out to the right. Fix your column width. This also fixed ALL the rest of my uneditable comments."

This resolved the issue for all of my comments at once (Office Pro 2010), and it has remained fixed since my post here in 2017.

Good luck.

Upvote 0
Hi Scuzzy,

Just making the column wider doesn't seem to work for me. I really need to ctrl-x or drag the field to another address and bring it back.

Regards,

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skydd

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back