Can Excel automatically recognize what name coordinates with certain accounts?

kaesco2

This is for a commissions report where I enter the sales rep who earns commissions on accounts they call on. Currently I am putting the accounts in ascending order and manually entering the sales rep. Is there a way that I can enter the account in one column and have the other column automatically recognize who it belongs to?

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Hi, welcome to the board :)

Yup, this sounds do-able.

You don't give much detail to work on, but assuming your data looks something like this...
A​
B​
C​
D​
E​
F​
1​
ACCTNameAcctName
2​
11​
aa
11​
aa
3​
22​
bb
22​
bb
4​
33​
cc
33​
cc
5​
11​
aa
6​
22​
bb
7​
33​
cc
8​
11​
aa
9​
22​
bb
10​
33​
cc
B2=IF(A2="","",VLOOKUP(A2,$E$2:$F$4,2,0))
copied down

E1:F4 would be the table containing the names and accounts

Upvote 0
This is for a commissions report where I enter the sales rep who earns commissions on accounts they call on. Currently I am putting the accounts in ascending order and manually entering the sales rep. Is there a way that I can enter the account in one column and have the other column automatically recognize who it belongs to?
Personal computers are among the dumbest of all creatures. If they have any intelligence, it is artificial. The basic answer to your question is "No". But a cross reference listing can be set up and used to identify accounts to names. If Arnold had 3 accounts, Betty had 2 and Charlie had 4, you could set up a cross reference for each person to their respective accounts and then in other places when an account is entered, refer to that indexed listing to get the corresponding name. You would need to elaborate on your project goals somewhat to get a better response.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
image.tiff

Upvote 0
Thanks you for the response! It resembles this yes. But some people have more than one account. where would I input that formula?

Upvote 0
I am not able to view images :(, based on my sample, what would the data look like?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back