Formulas for color fill and color text.

Eamonn100

Board Regular
Hi,

I have a conditional format using color fill to find certain cells. Is there a way to use a formula that detects color fill or even text color?

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
There is no formula that sees formatting but since you are using conditional formatting you can use the same formula to know what the formatting of the cell is.

Upvote 0
There is no formula that sees formatting but since you are using conditional formatting you can use the same formula to know what the formatting of the cell is.

I have a column with different text. The cell I'm looking for has text saying "Most recent day: Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday." How would I find this cell when the "Most recent day:" stays fixed but the days change. I have formulas for finding cells when all the text stays fixed but trying to find a cell when only part of the text stays the same I just can't get.

Upvote 0
Is this the only cell that has "Most recent day:", what causes the days to change and, how does this relate to the conditional formatting?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I was using conditional format to fill green with any cell that contains "Most recent day:".

There is another cell with "Most recent day:". That cell is a little different as it has some text before "Most recent day" but after "Most recent day" both cells will have the same text.

Upvote 0
I was using conditional format to fill green with any cell that contains "Most recent day:".

There is another cell with "Most recent day:". That cell is a little different as it has some text before "Most recent day" but after "Most recent day" both cells will have the same text.

Can I just say because the text after "Most recent day" is the same, if it's a case of choosing one cell or the other it would be ok.

Upvote 0
Is "Most recent day:" the start of the cell in the cell you are looking for?
What exactly do you want the formula to do? that is what do you want returned

Upvote 0
Yes "Most recent day" is the start of the cell.

I need the whole cell returned into the formula cell.

Upvote 0
Try this is an array formula and must be entered with CONTROL+SHIFT+ENTER. If done correctly Excel will put {} around the formula. If there are ever multiple cells that start with "Most recent date:" then the formula will return the first one.

Where B2:B7 is the range you want to look for "Most recent day:"
Code:
=INDEX(B2:B7,MATCH("Most recent day:",LEFT(B2:B7,16),0))

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DumbFinanceBro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back