Extract text of varying length from middle of an equation

phmalu

Board Regular
Office Version
  1. 2019
Platform
  1. Windows
Hi
I have some quadratic equations and I must automatically extract the values of A, B and C to different cells. The problem is that all of them vary in length constantly so I cannot use the =LEFT formula. I was thinking about using the number of spaces between each of the arguments but I don't know how to do that. A is always between the second space and the first X; B is always between the forth space and the second X; and finally C is everything after the last (sixth) space. Please help with the formula.

Examples:
y = 0,1502x² - 0,3883x + 1,648 (A= 0,1502; B= 0,3883; C=1,648)
y = 0,2236x² - 1,5631x + 24,746
y = -531,62x² + 196,71x + 18,815
y = -151,15x² + 27,609x + 21,805
y = 8,0870x² + 11,317x + 21,515
y = -17,795x² + 34,356x + 27,892

Thank you.

<tbody>
</tbody>

Excel Facts

Remove leading & trailing spaces
Save as CSV to remove all leading and trailing spaces. It is faster than using TRIM().
With your equations (as shown in Message #1) in Column A starting at Row 1, put this formula in cell B1 and copy it across to Column D, then copy those three formulas down to the bottom of your data...
Code:
=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,"x²",""),"x","")," ",REPT(" ",100)),200*COLUMNS($B:B),100))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
With your equations (as shown in Message #1) in Column A starting at Row 1, put this formula in cell B1 and copy it across to Column D, then copy those three formulas down to the bottom of your data...
Code:
=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,"x²",""),"x","")," ",REPT(" ",100)),200*COLUMNS($B:B),100))
WOW, it works really well
However, negative B's are shown as positive. All the rest is 100% tho.
Thank you!

ps: I known it's my own fault, first equation should be:

y = 0,1502x² - 0,3883x + 1,648 (A= 0,1502; B= -0,3883; C=1,648)

<tbody>
</tbody>

Upvote 0
WOW, it works really well
However, negative B's are shown as positive. All the rest is 100% tho.
Sorry, my fault, try this formula instead...
Code:
=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,"- ","+ -"),"x²",""),"x","")," ",REPT(" ",100)),200*COLUMNS($B:B),100))

Upvote 0
Sorry, my fault, try this formula instead...
Code:
=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,"- ","+ -"),"x²",""),"x","")," ",REPT(" ",100)),200*COLUMNS($B:B),100))
Now it's working flawlessly, thank you so much.
I wish I could come up with complicated formulas like this one on my own, you helped me immensely.

Upvote 0
Hi,

What if one or both of the coefficients for x or x² is unity?

For example, if you had:

y = -x² + x - 1

I presume you'd want the results to be -1, 1 and -1 (which Rick's formula will not provide)?

Or is unity always explicit in your equations, i.e. the above would be written (rather unconventionally):

y = -1x² + 1x - 1

Regards

Upvote 0

For example, if you had:

y = -x² + x - 1

I presume you'd want the results to be -1, 1 and -1 (which Rick's formula will not provide)?
Good point!!! I can't believe I did not think of that. :oops:

This formula should fix the problem...

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,"-x","-1x")," x"," 1x"),"- ","+ -"),"x²",""),"x","")," ",REPT(" ",100)),200*COLUMNS($B:B),100))

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Good point!!! I can't believe I did not think of that. :oops:

This formula should fix the problem...

=TRIM(MID(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE(SUBSTITUTE($A1,"-x","-1x")," x"," 1x"),"- ","+ -"),"x²",""),"x","")," ",REPT(" ",100)),200*COLUMNS($B:B),100))

Those are regression equations that represent the results from a field experiment. That means the coefficients are highly unlikely to be unity. Hence, they are always fractional so I believe the new formula wasn't necessary.
However, I will apply the changes just in case.
Thank you both once again!

Upvote 0
Hi,

For example, if you had:

y = -x² + x - 1

Or is unity always explicit in your equations, i.e. the above would be written (rather unconventionally):

y = -1x² + 1x - 1

Regards
And what if I wanted to solve this using the =MID + FIND command? Is it possible to solve it that way? In this case we could set 3 different formulas, one for A, B and C.

That is because A is always between the second space and the first X; B is always between the forth space and the second X; and finally C is everything after the last (sixth) space. This generic rule never changes as far as I can tell.

On my own I was able to come up with the formula "=MID(C3;5;FIND("x";C3;5)-5)" for A (and it seems to work every time), but I was unable to adapt it so I could find B and C also using the same logic. Thank you once again.

Upvote 0
And what if I wanted to solve this using the =MID + FIND command? Is it possible to solve it that way? In this case we could set 3 different formulas, one for A, B and C.
These would work...

A: =0+MID(LEFT(A1,FIND("x",A1)-1),5,99)

B: =0+SUBSTITUTE(MID(LEFT(A1,FIND("x",A1,FIND("x",A1)+1)-1),FIND("x",A1)+2,99)," ","")

C: =0+RIGHT(SUBSTITUTE(A1," ",REPT(" ",99)),99)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back