Pivot table Data Range made up of data on multiple sheets

iantest1

I have an couple of interesting problems for which I have been unable to find any tips on the net.

1 Pivot table based on multiple ranges (same Format) over a number of spreadsheets

Initially I thought that this would be possible using consolidate pivot tables, however this tends to consolidate only the value / amount fields and even when the pivots reworked will not give a standard pivot table. If you then drill down data (doubler click on total) the data is not in the same format as source.

I would welcome any ideas i.e. name ranges covering multiple sheets, re working of consolidated pivot table drill down data or even a simple macro to copy and paste data forma each of multiple source sheets onto one consolidated sheet.

I have even considered putting the individual sheets into Access to produce the pivot table.

Once again I find it hard to believe that this problem has not arisen before and a solution found. I certainly believe that this is the sort of solution to a Pivot table challenge that a number of people would find extremely useful.

2. Update links to external spreadsheets automatically without confirmation ( Click OK to update links)

The source data for this proposed Pivot table is based on a number of templates pulling data linked to data files downloaded from a mainframe report ( Peoplesoft –Excel query export ).

Is there a VBA command / Macro to upload and update all data and template spreadsheets with minimal or no further interaction on my part?

Many thanks in advance for your help with these queries

Excel Facts

Round to nearest half hour?
Use =MROUND(A2,"0:30") to round to nearest half hour. Use =CEILING(A2,"0:30") to round to next half hour.
Hi iantest1

As all your sheets have the same layout you should be able to use Data>Consolidate. You could then base your Pivot table off this, or it may give you all the info you need without a need for a Pivot Table.

Upvote 0
Many thanks for your interest

As I said in my original post, when I use consolidate, I am unable to reconstruct the data in the same format as the originals ! Could it be something to do with the format of the original data ?

My data tends to be in a format of several lables (text)and one value (amount) :- Code / Code 2 / Node1 / Node 2/ Office / Region / Amount / Description.

Consolidate will consolidate the total but will not allow me to rebuild a pivot table using the sub catagorisation i.e. by all codes within country for these regions.

Ian

Upvote 0
Hi Ian

I am refering to the Consolidation feature found directly under Data, not Pivot Tables "Multiple Consolidated Ranges" which I think you mean?

If any of you data has the "Text" cell Format I would strongle suggest replacing it with another format. The "Text" format can cause all sorts of problems.

I would also suggest not including any blank cells in your data, as this to can cause problems. One excelent way is to create Dynamim Named Ranges, see http://www.ozgrid.com/Excel/DynamicRanges.htm

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marion_davis

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back