How do you put a thumbnail in this forum Greg...?

pepesoto

Board Regular
:) Greg: I've seen in this forum that you put some thumbnails in your posts. How do you do that...?

En español: Greg, un saludo. He visto que en algunos de sus posts, incluye un vista en miniatura y al hacer click en ellas se ve en tamaño normal. ¿Como hace Usted eso...?

Thanxs in advance.... Gracias anticipadas...

Excel Facts

What is the last column in Excel?
Excel columns run from A to Z, AA to AZ, AAA to XFD. The last column is XFD.
You must find a place on the net to store images. Then use the URL tags to bracket your URL to those image...

If you are going to display an image, make sure it is not too large--I'd say around 300x300 at the largest.

If the image is larger than that don't display the image in the post, just link to the file. Users can then click the link to see the image and not have to wait for it to load with the thread(s).

Hola Pepe, ¿todo bien? Bueno, si me permite contestar su pregunta pero en inglés...because I've gotten a PM or two asking the same thing, and just hadn't gotten around to putting together a "how to" post.

How To Post Thumbnails and Pictures

For a lot of circumstances, Colo's HTML maker or ASAP Utilities Export-as-HTML tool will get us what we want. But there are times, say you're trying to explain something about a chart, an autoshape, a UserForm or even perhaps trying to translate Parsnip's instructions on how to use MSQuery to create a Cartesian Product, for example, when a picture/screenshot can be quite helpful. So here's how:

As Doco has already pointed out, you have to find somewhere to store images on the web. I have been using www.photobucket.com and have been very pleased with it. Photobucket uploads pretty quickly and it lets you check images in your album and click a button and it will give you the code to copy and paste into your posts for "in-line" images like so:

MessageBoxExample.png

Photobucket also gives you code to do the "thumbnail-as-link" images like so:

click thumbnail for a larger image

And as Von Pookie has already pointed out, for all but fairly small images, use of the thumbnail links is preferred since it saves on Bill's bandwidth costs!

The other half of the equation is - of course - creating the images in the first place. I am not an image-manipulation wizard, so there may be better ways of doing this. I downloaded some image-handling freeware called Paint.Net that is working pretty well for me. I use the old PrtScn button (note that Alt+PrtScn captures just the active window - handy for dialog boxes and userforms) to copy the screen to the clipboard and then paste into Paint.net; crop as needed and save as a PNG file. Upload the saved file(s) to my Excel Images sub-album at PhotoBucket, check the checkbox(es); click the Generate...code button at Photobucket, paste and post and voilá.

Easy as falling off a stump once you get the hang of it.

:biggrin: Wow... so nice my post was answered for some "gurus"..... that's really a pleasure....

¡Thanxs all of you a lot for the tricks & tips...!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidcom

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back