VBA Converter

Alkemist

Board Regular
Hia...

I have just upgraded to Office 2007 and am having problems with some XL spreadsheets.

Some of the spreadsheets have VBA and when XL 2007 opens them it gives the error msg telling me I need to install a "VBA Converter".

First question is...what on earth is that!?!?

Second question is...why do I need one, isn't it backwardly compatible?

Third question...where do I get one from?

I did check the Microsoft web site and all I could find was a page directing me to ask their customer support!

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926430/

Any help would be much appreciated...Cheer...Alkemist

Excel Facts

Get help while writing formula
Click the italics "fx" icon to the left of the formula bar to open the Functions Arguments dialog. Help is displayed for each argument.
That link seems to apply only to .xls files in the Excel 5.0/95 format. If that is the format that you saved your files in, and you still have Office XP or 2003 available, try saving the file in a later format (ie, Microsoft Excel workbook instead of Microsoft Excel 5.0/95 workbook).

Then try again in 2007.

Denis

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply...

When I installed Office 2007 it removed my Office XP. I do have Office 2003 in the office so I can use that.

Ideally I need the converter (apparently it's an add-in) for a full and permanent solution.

What I don't understand is why this add-in seems to be so illusive. I can't find it anywhere on the net.

Cheers...Alkemist

Upvote 0
I'd be surprised if you need to convert your VBA once you upgrade to a newer format. I have not come across this problem before with later formats than 5.0/95, but I agree: there's no reason for MS to make it hard to get the converter.

Denis

Upvote 0
Not only does it seem a peculiar issue to come across in the first place, but, I believe MS are charging for the VBA converter which is why it's hard to find.

I'll post back to this thread if I ever find the converter.

Fingers crossed this is a one off issue as I suspect it will be.

Cheers...Alkemist

Upvote 0
Trying to activate an older addin and getting this same msg. Since there is very little on this board about it and given how old this thread is, this must be rare.

I too was only able to come up with the contact MS support link as stated in the beginning of thi sthread.

2007 is all i have. Suggestions?

Upvote 0
After surfing the net and being "looped" thru MS's website several times, I finally chatted with MS. I referred to: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926430/ on the chat and they emailed me a link to a "Hotfix". The file required a password to unzip, which they included.

I don't understand why the password, but this is what the email said:

"WARNING: This fix is not publicly available through the Microsoft website as it has not gone through full Microsoft regression testing. If you would like confirmation that this fix is designed to address your specific problem, or if you would like to confirm whether there are any special compatibility or installation issues associated with this fix, you are encouraged to speak to a Support Professional in Product Support Services."

Since the files are dated 10/09/06 I guess this "regression testing" takes a long time.

Long story short... it worked.

Two files were placed in \program files\common files\microsoft shared\vba\vba6
vbacv10.dll
vbacv10d.dll

There was no charge as suggested in this thread.

I would post the link but the email went on to say the password always changes.

Upvote 0
Hi Alkemist,

That was the most helpful post ever. THANKS!!!! I have downloaded dlls from <cite>www.[B]dll[/B]dump.com </cite>and just placed them where you pointed. It worked. Thanks.<cite>
</cite>

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hengshankouniuniu

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back