UDF and PERSONAL.XLS

schielrn

Ok as you can tell from my past couple posts, I am trying to streamline some of my macros and UDFs and make them accessible to all workbooks. This is fine for now through the PERSONAL.XLS file. The only problem I have is with the UDFs. Is there somewhere else I can put these that I do not have to type in PERSONAL.XLS before each UDF from that file. Can I move these into the funcres project and have any more sucess or is that just an all around bad idea?

Thanks for any input.

Excel Facts

Will the fill handle fill 1, 2, 3?
Yes! Type 1 in a cell. Hold down Ctrl while you drag the fill handle.
I HIGHLY recommend placing all UDF's and custom generic toolbar procedures in one or more Addins. This makes them available to all workbooks and provides portability, allowing you to more easily install, uninstall and share with others.

Upvote 0
Schielrn, not stalking you, I swear... (I'm stalking hatman :LOL:)

I second what Paul says about add-ins. Tushar recommends a complete segregation of data and code, i.e. always put code in Add-In's, never in data-containing workbooks. I'm afraid I am not quite that pure in my programming. But I do keep my most commonly used UDF's in my own Add-In. I try to keep similar functions grouped into modules. Then if I need to grab a "pack of functions" I can either drag the module from my add-in to whatever project needs them. Or I export the module, so that I can easily import the code if I am creating workbooks and adding code to them programmatically through the VBIDE.

HTH,

Upvote 0
Hey Greg... why are you following me? I'm not THAT irresistible.

BTW: if you are so inclined, Laurent Longre has built a .dll that will even make your UDF's look native, by making them play nicely with the Function Wizard. It's NOT the most user friendly piece of coding, but once you have it working, it REALLY makes your functions look professional.

http://xcell05.free.fr/english/

Edit: Typoed and left out the word NOT above... sorta changes the meaning of the whole post :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Hey hatman thanks for that link. That is really nice. And thank you both for the responses. I don't mind you stalking my posts Greg, you've always been of great assistance.

Upvote 0
I don't mind you stalking my posts Greg, you've always been of great assistance.

Yeah, Greg can be a little rough around the edges, but he cuddly - I mean helpful - enough that we keep him around anyway. :p

If you need help building your addins, just ask.. it can be tricky the first time, though there are certainly enough articles and sicussions floating around to be helpful.

Upvote 0
Building the add-in was fine and I have all my UDFs in it, now if I want to add some later, can I just open the xla file and add them to the module and then save. Would the already installed add-in automatically update with those new functions?

Upvote 0
Yes, that is correct. Just make sure that you save from the VBE, and that you are in the proper file. In this way, the Addins behave just like the Personal.xls, however, the addins tend to be more stable...

Upvote 0
Ok thanks that was a lot of help. Every day I keep picking up more and more maybe soon enough I may reach your level.

Upvote 0
Hey, I'm still trying to reach Greg's level, and if you ask him, he's still trying to meet someone else's level (insert appropriate guru here). We all have things to learn, which is why we hang out in this particular community.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
excelquestion515

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back