.XLS file type association problem with two Excel versions

Gates Is Antichrist

I am changing the file type association for .XLS to
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office11\excel.exe

I'm using "Change" and "browse" to set it to that exact file. However it still starts version 12 (XL2007) which is dual installed with version 11 (XL2003).

I was successful in creating a shortcut that opens version 11, despite Microsoft's apparent attempt to thwart that; now I need to fix the file association. (Try to directly edit the Office links in your XP Start Menu - notice how the target is grayed out??? MS, sorry b******s)

AccessShortcuts.jpg

Upvote 0

Excel Facts

How to create a cell-sized chart?
Tiny charts, called Sparklines, were added to Excel 2010. Look for Sparklines on the Insert tab.
I guess that I asked the wrong question. But since you answered, I see you can set the shortcut key to the one you want, at least.

This is what I have under XP folder options. The icon is the giveaway that it's still 2003. See if you can browse that one (see my original post for location).
mre2.jpg

Upvote 0
I actually have both:

FolderOptions.jpg

Also both available in Open With. I can set the default to be 2003. However, when I open a 2007 database (accdb), I get this:

Reconfigure2007.jpg

Next, if I try to double-click a 2003 type file (mdb), I get this:

Reconfigure2003.jpg

This is time-consuming, as I'm sure you understand. I don't see why it's necessary.

Upvote 0
Okay, maybe the difference is that I strictly deal with .MDB. I haven't had the misfortune of 2007-specific extensions being blessed upon me. I'm sorry. It does look painful.

At least for those who just open .MDB, this worked for me, so they can try it: after [dual] 2007 installation doubling clicking a .MDB came up on Access 2007. I closed it. I manually opened Access 2003 (such as I have to do with Excel, since that bug isn't solved). Then I double clicked the file again. Presto. He never tries to open Access 2007 again.

Upvote 0
Hi Gentlemen!

This puzzle has been solved by me with usage of the followind command line, putting on Start-Run:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /o

Surely, the same key can be applied to Word & Access.

Enjoy this trick!
Vladimir

Upvote 0
In the folder where EXCEL.EXE is located for office 2003, make a copy of this file and name it EXCEL2003.EXE. Then in the File Types dialog change the XLS extension to run this file.

It worked for me. I did the same for the XLA extension.

Another way that will probably work is to rerun SETUP for office 2003 and do a Repair or similar.

Upvote 0
In the folder where EXCEL.EXE is located for office 2003, make a copy of this file and name it EXCEL2003.EXE. Then in the File Types dialog change the XLS extension to run this file.

It worked for me. I did the same for the XLA extension.

Another way that will probably work is to rerun SETUP for office 2003 and do a Repair or similar.
Hi Bmurphy,

Welcome to the board and thanks for adding your tip!
It has induced me to extend my April advice:
The command line from Start-Run would be also:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /regserver

According to description "the key /regserver forces Excel to register itself and then quit. Use this switch when you want Excel to rewrite all its registry keys and reassociate itself with Excel files, such as workbooks, charts, and so on".

The same key can be used for reassociating of WinWord and MSAccess applications.

Regards,
Vladimir

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back