offset from current cell

ManiacMark

Hello,

First time poster. I've been searching for a way to do this for a couple of days now.

I am basically writing a perl script to scrape data off of a report text file to a new text file that is formatted for excel. This data is then imported into excel and i want to insert functions into the text file so the user does not have to put the functions manually into the thousands of rows.

The problem is that the the data can be imported anywhere into an existing spreadsheet so my formula can not use standard cell address's. For example i need a formula that says =hour(cell to my right) or =text(cell to my right, "ddd").

I have tried things like =text(offset(cell("address"),,1),"ddd") but it looks like the offset function can not use a function to return the address. Putting just cell("address") into any cell returns the current cell address so i don't know why it can not be used.

All ideas appreciated.

Excel Facts

Repeat Last Command
Pressing F4 adds dollar signs when editing a formula. When not editing, F4 repeats last command.
Hello Mark, welcome to MrExcel,

Address function will give a text string not a cell reference, try

=TEXT(OFFSET($A$1,ROW()-1,COLUMN()),"ddd")

...or perhaps better because it doesn't need any cell references

=TEXT(INDIRECT(ADDRESS(ROW(),COLUMN()+1)),"ddd")

Upvote 0
Instead of
Code:
offset(cell("address"),,1)
use
Code:
OFFSET(INDIRECT(CELL("address")),,1)

However, that may still not get you the results you want, because the CELL("address") function without a reference returns the address of the last cell modified in the worksheet, not the address of the cell containing the CELL formula. I'm not sure what to do about it though.

Upvote 0
Got it. The ROW and COLUMN functions, when used without reference, do self-refer.
Code:
=OFFSET(INDIRECT("R"&ROW()&"C"&COLUMN(),FALSE),,1)

Upvote 0
Good stuff guys, Thanks for all the quick replies.

I ended up going with Barry's 2nd option.

Oh and Mike, yeah the R1C1 format was tried but in the end i think it would have confused the end user trying to switch to this format.

Thanks again, you'll probably be hearing a lot more from me, this is a great forum.(y)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
staticfluids

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back