Pivot Table Filter - Sorting

AnnWillmott

Hi, I have a pivot table that has a report filter field. (Excel 2007.) I am trying to figure out how to sort the filter's drop-down list. Field settings does not provide any sort options. PivotTable Options provides a sort specification for the entire table, but this doesn't seem to affect the filter.

The issue is that the filter is a number, and the numbers are out of order: 2203, 2204, 2213, 2205. In an attempt to troubleshoot this problem, I made sure the source data was all formatted as a number, not as text, but that didn't help.

The source data is also sorted by this number and 2213 appears in its proper place. So I can't figure out what is making Excel put the filter list in that order, and how to fix it. Anyone run across this and have words of wisdom? Any help will be greatly appreciated! --Ann

Excel Facts

Excel motto
Not everything I do at work revolves around Excel. Only the fun parts.
Right click on the Pivot Table - "Pivot Table Options" - Select the "Display" tab - The bottom section controls the "Field List" -Sort A to Z / Sort in data source order

Be sure to Refresh your Pivot Table

Upvote 0
Thank you. Yes, I've set Sort on the Display tab to A-Z, but that doesn't affect the filter drop-down menu, which is still out of order. It is a strange problem, but there literally seems to be no way to sort that drop-down menu.

Upvote 0
Hi Ann -
  1. Click the drop down arrow on the row header as if you were going to filter or sort your list<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  2. Click on More Sort Options<o:p></o:p>
  3. Click on More Options (yes, there is another More Options button)
  4. Click to uncheck the AutoSort check box where it reads “Sort automatically every time the report is updated”
That should do it. Instead of automatically putting your filter list in alpha-numeric order Excel will let it match the order as it appears on your Pivot Table.

<o:p>Cheers,</o:p>
<o:p>Andrew</o:p>

Upvote 0
I've been having this problem too, the thing is there are no buttons when I click on the REPORT FILTER....

Upvote 0
I agree, there is no way to right click on the filter arrow and get the More Sort Options choice, however, if you pull the report filter field into the Row Labels you can then right click on the filter arrow and choose More Sort Options. Then you can select A-Z or Z-A. When you are done just pull the field back up into the report filter.

Upvote 0
One way I found to do it is to move the field from "Report Filter" to "Row Label". Then right-click on one of the new row labels and select the desired sort option. Then move the field back to the "Report Filter" area. The sort options are retained.

Upvote 0
After messing around with it for hours, I think I found the easiest way; just unlink the data table and then relink it and refresh and you will have it sorted again!

Upvote 0
One way I found to do it is to move the field from "Report Filter" to "Row Label". Then right-click on one of the new row labels and select the desired sort option. Then move the field back to the "Report Filter" area. The sort options are retained.

This one worked great for me! :)

Upvote 0
How do I unlink the data table? I'm having the same problem. I want to sort a field, but there are no options in 2007 to do this. I'm going to email Microsoft to fix this - it's really annoying - not that they will listen.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back