Formula to return Sheet number

Captain Smith

Is there a formula to return the sheet number? What I want to do is have a formula that always references a cell in the sheet to the immediate left. The first sheet of course would not reference. So if I have the formula in Sheet 3 the formula would automatically reference the cell in Sheet 2. I want the user to just be able to make a copy of the sheet so that the copied sheet would have the correct formula reference. I want to avoid VBA.

Thank you.

Excel Facts

How to change case of text in Excel?
Use =UPPER() for upper case, =LOWER() for lower case, and =PROPER() for proper case. PROPER won't capitalize second c in Mccartney
There was a post on here within the past month explaining how to do this. I can't find it at the moment. I'd try doing some searching yourself, as it's definitely in there.

Upvote 0
Sal, thanks that was handy (and you found it so quickly!). Now that I have a formula for to return a sheet name, is there another formula that will return the sheet number? For example in VBA if I refer to Sheet 3 it is literally the third sheet in the workbook. I want a formula that can be put on a sheet that just returns the number 3 because it is the third spreadsheet. Thanks!

Upvote 0
No there isn't (at least not that I know of). The only reason you can get the sheet name is because it's in the full path to the cell. The sheet number isn't.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ED38

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back