Tracking my employee's history of changes.

ZEUSZEUS

Have a dilemma.
I am using excel as point of sale book (to record customer name, service, and total price etc.) at our hair salon. We have employees that may be there to manage alone from time to time, and enter clients into excel.
Our worry is straight forward, and involves them erasing what they wrote. I am confident that the actual service and price is entered at the beginning, but want to track their changes to their own entries.

The "track changes" would work if it "tracked changes" after entry. But it seems to track the last change from saving. For example....the employee enters $40.25 presses enter--after she knows she can get away with a change, she may erase it altogether or change it to say $16.75.

Please help.
Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Workdays for a market open Mon, Wed, Friday?
Yes! Use "0101011" for the weekend argument in NETWORKDAYS.INTL or WORKDAY.INTL. The 7 digits start on Monday. 1 means it is a weekend.
PM received:

Hi Peter,
Thanks for answering...
I am a newb at Excel and only use it at its basics. In this circumstance logging customer sales entries, there are no functions except data (totals etc.) that we will use at a later time tallying. Previously, we have always entered things in a paper book and then transferred all the entries into Excel. So I bought a laptop for the business and want to enter the info directly into the Excel (it'll save us a whole lot of work later too). Potential employee theft is the only the problem (eg changing a price and service after they entered it knowing the client has left and no one knows the service performed since the bosses weren't around the whole time----they might very well erase the whole line.)

Typical day would start with a new "book" in Excel.
Line 1: (Titles from column A to G) [CUSTOMER,PHONE,SERVICE PERFORMED,TOTAL PRICE, PAYMENT TYPE,TIPS,INSTRUCTIONS]
Line 2: (1st customer information entered)
Line 3: C: (room for more instructions for 1st customer)
Line 4: (2nd customer information entered)
Line 5: C (room for more instructions for 2nd customer)
etc..

Now, I figure the employee or I would just save "the book" at close.
Next day start anew with a new "book".

---whew!
...I hope you got through that.

So can you help me with this "hidden log". I haven't a clue.
Thanks again Peter,:)
Tom in Toronto, Canada
PS- do you recommend that we open a new "book" per business day or add dates and do it by month? (i'm not sure if the "hidden log" works continuously or a new one per day)
PPS-I apologize for my newbiness!

It is better to respond by replying to your thread rather thasn sending PMs.

I would suggest that you have a single workbook and add a new sheet for each day. You can name each sheet with the date (for example).

Also create a sheet called Log and make it hidden (Format > Sheet > Hide). When you want to look at it again Format > Sheet > Unhide.

Then right click the Excel logo just to the left of File on the menu bar, select View Code and paste in

Code:
Private Sub Workbook_SheetChange(ByVal Sh As Object, ByVal Target As Range)
Dim LR As Long
If Sh.Name = "Log" Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
With Sheets("Log")
    LR = .Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row
    .Range("A" & LR + 1).Value = Now
    .Range("B" & LR + 1).Value = Sh.Name
    .Range("C" & LR + 1).Value = Target.Address(False, False)
    .Range("D" & LR + 1).Value = Target.Value
End With
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Now, whenever a change is made the following will be recorded on the Log sheet:

• Date and time in column A
  • Sheet name in column B
  • Cell address in column C
  • Cell value in column D

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,
I have Excel 2007 and the directions are off for that version. I know these directions would probably work with my older Excel 2002.

1)
So can I ask you first of all, are the books easily transferable between the two ('cause I was hoping to use 2007 at the shop and transfer to excel 2002 at home).
2)If this is not good or as useful I could install whatever versions you recommend anywhere if necessary.
3) If they do work together no problem, can you adjust the directions for Excel 2007.

Sorry for all the work.
Very much appreciated.
-Tom :)

Upvote 0
For 1 and 2 you will need to install the compatibility pack at home http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=5754865

For 3:

To add the code press ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor, View > Project Explorer then in the Project Explorer window double click ThisWorkbook then paste the code into the white space on the right.

Make sure macros are enabled. Click the office button (top left), > Excel Options, tick Show Developer Tab in the Ribbon and click OK. On the Developer tab click Macro Security and tick to enable macros (this isn't dangerous provided you have anti virus software).

To hide a sheet in Excel 2007, on the Home tab in the Cells group, Format > Hide & Unhide > Hide Sheet.

You will need to save your file as an Excel Macro Enabled Workbook (.xlsm).

Upvote 0
Hi Peter,

I have this weekend to try the "hidden log". But wondering....

1) Is there a way to protect (passwords or other, etc.) the hidden "log" from being tampered with or removed if they are wise to it?

2) Would you recommend just installing an older version of excel on both computers as we are quite familiar with....or are the advantages to '07 that worth learning (wrt our simple usage)?

3) Is the Excel '07 version the first year of change requiring compatibility packs for use with previous versions (to '02)? In other words if I use Excel '06 for example, would I still need the compatibility pack?

Thanks for your patience.
-Tom in Toronto
;)

Upvote 0
1) This could be done but I suggest that you get the code working first.

2) I would use an earlier version of Excel - you don't need 07 for your simple needs.

3) you need toe compatibility pack for versions 2003 and earlier.

Upvote 0
To clarify,
If I downloaded any Excel Version 11, I could use this with my home office excel 2002 (Version 10) without the compatibility pack?

Upvote 0
You don't need the compatibility pack to use Excel 2003 (Version 11) files with Excel 2002.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back