Highlight Specific Text Within a Cell of Other Text

chelseasikoebs

Board Regular
This is the text:
Take 5 PPE Swabs per Area, Both Shifts. Test various equipment - hands, aprons, sleeves, hats, etc.

What I need is for "Take 5 PPE Swabs per Area, Both Shifts." to be bold and highlighted in gray, but none of the other text. Conditional formatting highlights the entire cell, which won't work. Can this be done??

Excel Facts

Enter current date or time
Ctrl+: enters current time. Ctrl+; enters current date. Use Ctrl+: Ctrl+; Enter for current date & time.
If you are willing to use VBA, you could use code like this, perhaps using a worksheet change event?

<font face=Courier New>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> Rng <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> Rng = ActiveCell<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> S <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">String</SPAN><br>  S = "Take 5 PPE Swabs per Area, Both Shifts."<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> InStr(Rng.Value, S) > 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> Rng.Characters(1, Len(S)).Font.Color = 15</FONT>

Without VBA, I am not aware of a way that you can use Conditional Formatting to highlight part of a cell text.

Upvote 0
Do you want to highlight just the one string, "Take 5 PPE Swabs per Area, Both Shifts"

Others?

What range of cells do you want this highlighting to take place.

When should it take place? When a cell changes? When you press a button?

Could you explain a little more about what precipitates the highlighting and what cells get highlighted.

Upvote 0
And, similarly, can I have a formula set up like:
="Water Samples: " & C3 & ". (Test for Chlorine and leave both samples in the Lab for testing.) " & C4 & " Shift Only"

but get a result with the following formatting (bold/underline)?
Water Samples: Handwash Sink. (Test for Chlorine and leave both samples in the Lab for testing.) 1st Shift Only

Upvote 0
Okay, the highlighting: There would be about 8 specific text strings that would need highlighted. Not in any particular range and the rows that the highlighted text is in would be cut and pasted around the sheet each week and need to hold onto the highlighting. The highlighting would always remain in place on these 8 text strings. Therefore, it'd be a one-time formatting, but like I said, the rows that contain these strings will be cut and pasted and moved around on the sheet. Does this help?

Upvote 0
I would add the following in a Module

<font face=Courier New><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Public</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> HighlightCodes()<br>  <SPAN style="color:#007F00">' Select Cells to be highlighted and Run this Sub.</SPAN><br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> Codes(1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> 8)<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> Rng <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> i <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> StartPos <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Long</SPAN><br>  Codes(1) = "Take 5 PPE Swabs per Area, Both Shifts."<br>  Codes(2) = "Code 2"<br>  Codes(3) = "Code 3"<br>  Codes(4) = "Code 4"<br>  Codes(5) = "Code 5"<br>  Codes(6) = "Code 6"<br>  Codes(7) = "Code 7"<br>  Codes(8) = "Code 8"<br><br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Each</SPAN> Rng <SPAN style="color:#00007F">In</SPAN> Selection.Cells<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">For</SPAN> i = 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">To</SPAN> 8<br>       StartPos = InStr(Rng.Value, Codes(i))<br>       <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> StartPos > 0 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> Rng.Characters(StartPos, Len(Codes(i))).Font.ColorIndex = 15<br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> i<br>  <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Next</SPAN> Rng<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Modify the "Codes" to match your strings.

Select the Cells to be highlighted and run the code.

If you then drag cells around manually the formatting should stay the same.

Upvote 0
That is SO close. The only thing is that it changes the color of the font instead of behind the font. The font would actually remain black with gray highlighting behind it.

Upvote 0
It is not possible to color part of the background of a cell. The entire background is highlighted or none. You change the color of individual characters, but I am not aware of a way to format a cell with more than one color.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ava19

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back