Conditional format (highlighting empty cells between two value) Question on Excel 2007

craig8125

This my first post here so firstly , hello everyone.

I am developing a spreadsheet which imports data from a charting program, my knowledge of excel is basic growing rapidly but I have no experience with VBA although I am going to have to dip a toe soon I can see that (gulp).

I first thought of displaying my data in a graphical format ie a variation of a multi layered box chart but I think that will have to wait due to my experience.

Here's where I am going with it:

The price is displayed in the centre of the screen. I have used a basic =sum("previous cell"=1) formula and pasted it above the realtime price and the same below using "-1"

This gives me constantly changing prices within the screen veiw. to display the opening price. other data is displayed using if statements in column next to the changing which are compared to a table containg the data. this results in a message displayed against the daily high and daily low in the column next to the prices and as the data changes these messages appear to rotate in veiw.

here is my question, I want to colour the cells between the high and the low (including the cell at the high and low which has the message) which are empty are empty. so that a coloured bar visually scrolls up or down as the trading prices gets nearer the high or low and obviously as the market reaches a new high the message will be disappear from the old price and be displayed at the new high or low with the formatting of the cells also updating. Can anyone tell me the simplist way of achievig this

Thanks in advance

Excel Facts

Select all contiguous cells
Pressing Ctrl+* (asterisk) will select the "current region" - all contiguous cells in all directions.
Craig

Can you upload your file (or an example of it). It'll be easier to understand what you're trying to do.

Dion

Upvote 0
Thanks for quick reply Mojo, I thought it easier to upload a sample of the spreadsheet for you to download and dont seem to be able to find a way of doing that here so I have put them on sendspace. The files are named Reem Mr excel.

Uploaded links

97-2003 xls file - http://www.sendspace.com/file/w19b6t

2007 xlsx file - http://www.sendspace.com/file/ljbzlh

Any advice on better ways of displaying the data are also welcome

thanks again

Craig

Upvote 0
Dion

The files you sent me were great and as a result I have learnt a little more about conditional formatting, the spreadsheet has though now taken sightly different slant.

but a speedy response and many thanks for the speedy work on the files.

Craig

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
visheshkotha

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back