Excel 2003 crash by linking

P_Lark

Hi,
I have a problem with Excel 2003.
If I make linking between another worksheets in a workbook or when I try to link from other worksheets in formula does application excel.exe to crash.
see sample ( formula in cell =+'D:\Document_2009\FII_Financ\2009\PDC\[calculation_pdc_2009.xls]Oct'!$BW$8)
The error messages on my computer is following:
Faulting application excel.exe, version 11.0.8316.0,
stamp 4ace3b8f, faulting module excel.exe, version 11.0.8316.0,
stamp 4ace3b8f, ,fDebug: 0, Offset: 001cb5c9

(PC DELL OPTIFLEX 170 - Windows XP ver.2002, SP3 Intel Pentium 4, 2,8GHz - Microsoft Office Excel 2003 11.8316.8221 SP3 (Microsoft Office Standard Edition 2003) )

Why can I do to resolve this problem?
Thank you for your help.

Paul

Excel Facts

Can you AutoAverage in Excel?
There is a drop-down next to the AutoSum symbol. Open the drop-down to choose AVERAGE, COUNT, MAX, or MIN
You state that you are linking from other workbook files. Is this happenning with any workbook, or just in the sample provided?

Upvote 0
What type of content do you have in your workbook ? Is it loaded with formulae, arrays or macros, conditional formatting, formatting, the size of data, pivots, etc. ? Be clear on that. Moreover, did you search the Microsoft KB Articles for your error on this website ?

Click Here Please

Upvote 0
My workbooks contains only formulas, formatting cell and linking from others worksheets, no macros or forms. I worked with the same worksheets without error so already long.

By linking does Excel to crash.

Upvote 0
I have a similar problem (I think): Fully patched XP machine, Excel 2003 (SP3). No add-ins (COM or otherwise) just vanilla Excel.

To replicate my problem - create a new workbook, add some data to a sheet and freeze panes (horizontal, vertical, doesn't matter). Select a cell anywhere on the sheet with frozen panes, start entering a formula by typing equals (=) and then click on a worksheet tab to refer to a cell in another worksheet ... Excel crashes at this point, every time.

If I unfreeze the panes, or use the formula bar and type the cell reference in manually, then no problem.

The same Excel file on two other identical machines (patch level etc.) does not crash on one, but does the other.

I've had some success with killing the user profile but the problem comes back eventually ... complete mystery.

If this helps fill in any gaps or triggers anything with your problem Paul (P_Lark) then that's great. Hopefully someone knowledgeable here can help us further. My suspicion is a recent Windows/Office Update is to blame but have yet to pinpoint.

Thanks,

Sam.

Upvote 0
Hello Sam,

thank you verry match for your advice and help.
I must all that try (unfreeze, insert link manualy ).
Thanks

Paul

Upvote 0
Did you search for your error problem on Microsoft Knowledge Base ? I wonder if that above solution is a concrete one..

Upvote 0
I searched for any solution in Microsoft Knowledge Base, MS Comunity , TechArena, TEchGui.

Problem is possible caused by Microsoft Security Update for Office 2003 (KB 973475) EXCEL and corrupt .xlb file in user profile.

Solution for Windows XP
Close all Excel Spreadsheets
Open Start Button>>Control Panel>>Add or Remove Programs
In Add Remove Programs, check the box “Show Updates”
Scroll to Microsoft Office 2003.
Under Microsoft Office, locate Security Update for Office 2003 (KB 973475) EXCEL. Select this update and select Remove button. Close Control Panel when done.
Open Windows File Explorer or My Computer and select Tools>>Folder Options>>View Tab. Verify these settings: Under Hidden files and folders, select Show hidden files and folders. Underneath Show hidden files and folders uncheck Hide extensions for known file types. Select OK to close window.
After update is removed, open Windows File Explorer and navigate to \Documents and Settings\%USERPROFILE%\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel (%USERPROFILE% matches your login ID)
Rename file Excel11.xlb to Excel11.xlb.bak. The number on the file name may vary but the file will start with Excel and have a .xlb file name extension.
Start Excel, open a spreadsheet and test linking
When doing Windows updates on your machine, select Custom Install and uncheck Security Update for Office 2003 (KB 973475) EXCEL. You should get a prompt with a checkbox for Don’t notify me about these updates again. Check this checkbox.
(from http://forums.techarena.in/office-update-service/1271719.htm -
http://www.petri.co.il/forums/showthread.php?p=188311 )

I must that prompt to do.

Paul.

Upvote 0
Did you try creating a new profile in Windows XP too ? Reinstalling or Uninstalling & Reinstalling could also do no harm...

Upvote 0
Crash is gone! Excel works a excelent !

Problem realy caused by Microsoft Security Update for Office 2003 (KB 973475) EXCEL and corrupt .xlb file in user profile.
I uninstalled from my PC KB_973475 and deleted file Excel11.xlb... problem is away!

Thanks to all for help.

Paul.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rkmenon

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back