Personal.xlsb and multiple Excel's

SuperFerret

Hello,

I'm wanting to see if there is a way to solve this problem. I've created a Macro to clear unwanted data from reports which we have to download as text files, and saved it for a colleague in Personal.xlsb.

However, for some reason all my colleagues like having multiple instances of Excel open (instead of opening everything in 1 they keep opening a new one) but it brings up the error message:

"PERSONAL.XLSB is locked for editing
by 'Me'
Open 'Read-Only' or click 'Notify' to open read-only and receive notification when the document is no longer in use"

I've tried sharing the workbook, but all it does is keep opening Personal.xlsb whenever they open a new Excel?

Is there a way to let them open as many Excel's as they want and not refer to Personal.xlsb at all?

Excel Facts

Why are there 1,048,576 rows in Excel?
The Excel team increased the size of the grid in 2007. There are 2^20 rows and 2^14 columns for a total of 17 billion cells.
You can put the code into an add-in?

Upvote 0
Thanks, how would I do that? I'm still reasonably new to Add-ins! :biggrin:

Would it be easy enough for them to still run the Macro when required?

Upvote 0
You would need to create a menu item for them or have them add a button to the QAT for it. Other than that you just need to save the workbook as an .xlam add-in file.

Upvote 0
Ok, I've saved it as an .xlam add-in file and it's in the Active Add-ins section (with Excel Jeanie) but no way to select it?

I'm feeling particularly blonde today, how do I make a button or attach it to the QAT?

Upvote 0
Click the little dropdown to the right of the QAT and choose 'More commands...' then select the Macros section and choose your macro.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Andyg666

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back