Exceeding 255 character limit in hyperlink

litrelord

Hi,

does anyone know of a way I can get round the 255 character limit for a hyperlink on a spreadsheet (using XL2002). I want a hyperlink to create an email but there are too many recipients. I didn't really want to do it progmatically but if needs be then I will have to.

Any suggestions?

Kind regards

Nick

Excel Facts

Excel Wisdom
Using a mouse in Excel is the work equivalent of wearing a lanyard when you first get to college
Good thinking but alas I get a "Formula is too long" error.

Any other ideas or is my email automation idea impossible?

Ta

Upvote 0
When I try that I get the #Value! error.

I'm convinced there must be a way to do this. It just seems ridiculous that I can't find a way. I would have thought quite a few people must have distribution lists like this but I don't see much on google about it.

Thanks once again.

Upvote 0
I am running into the same problem. I have a link that is running at least 275 characters. I need to find a way to be able to link here from Excel, and hopefully also find a way to visit the link using VBA.

The link is below.

Code:
http://corportal/main/reports/default.aspx?Reports=8&Report=Scorecards&lbl_DrillLevel=Supervisor&rdo_DrillLevel=3&rptViewType=3&LST_DOW=-1&DateGrouping=6&Version_ID=2&emp_id=-959510994398.0&sdate=01/24/2010&edate=01/30/2010&EMP_LEVEL2=5&EMP_LEVEL=4&SITE_LIST=17&Grp_Descr=SALES

Upvote 0
Below I've broken down the parts to the link that I need to concatenated together.

http://corportal/main/reports/default.aspx?Reports=8&Report=Scorecards&lbl_DrillLevel=Supervisor&rdo_DrillLevel=3&rptViewType=3&LST_DOW=-1&DateGrouping=6&Version_ID=2&emp_id=-

&sdate=

01/24/2010

&edate=

01/30/2010

&EMP_LEVEL2=5&EMP_LEVEL=4&SITE_LIST=17&Grp_Descr=SALES

Upvote 0
Bump. Anyone have an answer on this?
ug. this is a big problem/shortcoming that i would have though microsoft would have bothered to address by now, but apparently not?? (i am looking at office versions from 1997 through 2007). is there any possibility that office 2010 increased the limit?

Is the limit documented anywhere?

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back