can i predict the first digit of a six digit random number?

hereticwrath

hi,i'm new here,just wanted to know is there any way we can predict the 1st digit of a six digit random number,by the list of last year draws like:
for 2012
jan 646399
feb 012896
march 856963
april 423566
may 754869
june 556986
july ?????
like is there any formula or any way we can predict even the first digit?
thnx
p.s: kindly do post replies

Excel Facts

What is the fastest way to copy a formula?
If A2:A50000 contain data. Enter a formula in B2. Select B2. Double-click the Fill Handle and Excel will shoot the formula down to B50000.
Hello

Do you understand what randomness means?
If it were possible, the lottery would not exist anymore.

Upvote 0
@wigi,i asked if i can "predict" with better probability,and just only the first digit i-e:-from 0-9?
if there is any way just for the first digit kindly do suggest,thnx alot for your reply,would be waiting
on this one too....
regards

Upvote 0
i asked if i can "predict" with better probability,and just only the first digit i-e:-from 0-9?
if there is any way just for the first digit kindly do suggest,thnx alot for your reply,would be waiting
on this one too....
No, you cannot predict an upcoming number from a series of past randomly generated number... numbers do not have memory, so what numbers came out in the past cannot influence the next number that will come out.

Upvote 0
thanks for the replies all,@rick,thanks but is there any way if i can make a better guess of an upcoming number,i mean if i have three tries to guess
what the first digit can be from 0-9,can i guess it in these three tries?

Upvote 0
NO

You CANNOT do what you want. If you could then the numbers wouldn't be random.

If you are saying that you already have a lot of data and you want to use it to make a guess of the probabilities of the first digit of the next number in the sequence I suppose it might be possible to do that but ONLY if the data weren't random (you said it is).

Upvote 0
again thanks all,@stuart_W...i also said i have 3 to 5 tries to make it happen and its only the first digit,i have to chose from 0 to 9,as i have narrowed
it down,now can it happen?
thanks in advance all...
regards

Upvote 0
You can have as many 'tries' as you want - you still won't improve your chances of a correct prediction.

Please try and understand what the multiple people who have responded to your query have been trying to tell you: whether you have 1 'try' or a million, there is absolutely no difference whatsoever in your 'chances' of correctly predicting what a chosen number from a random set will be.

Regards

Upvote 0
I don't think you are listening. If the numbers are random, then no. (unless you have 10 tries for one number so you can guess every possibility)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nzskater

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back