Having trouble sharing Excel tables with other workbooks?

mattbird

Office Version
  1. 2016
Hi,

Is there anyone how knows how to share an Excel table? I have a table which I would like to share with other workbooks but when I click the share workbook it says:

'This workbook can not be shared because it contains Excel tables or XML maps. To share this workbook, convert the table ranges and remove the XML maps.'

I would like to use the Excel table as it automatically transfer formulas to the next row, if I convert the table range, I will have to copy and past my formulas into a new row every time I add one. I am not sure what XML maps are?

I am currently using Excel 2007 on Win8.

Please could someone help......

Matt

Excel Facts

Does the VLOOKUP table have to be sorted?
No! when you are using an exact match, the VLOOKUP table can be in any order. Best-selling items at the top is actually the best.
Thanks for your quick response.

If I can't share Excel tables, is there another way of Excel automatically adding my formulas to a new row when inserted?

Matt

Upvote 0
You can use VBA; most likely a change event after a specific cell has changed.

If you can specify what cell should trigger the formula copy, and what range to copy, someone can write up the code for you.

Upvote 0
This is my table I am using:

GenderHeight (cm)Weight (Kg)BMIWC (cm)BMI CatergoryOverall Health RiskAssessment DateReview DateRemarks
#DIV/0! #DIV/0!#DIV/0! #DIV/0!
#DIV/0! #DIV/0!#DIV/0! #DIV/0!

<colgroup><col><col span="2"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
#DIV/0!

<colgroup><col span="2"><col span="2"><col><col><col><col><col><col><col></colgroup><tbody>
</tbody>
The formulas in cell H, J, K and M (shown as #DIV/0!) need to be the same in each new row when adding a new measurements into the table, if you can understand what I mean? otherwise I have to insert a new row and copy and past them in every time which is a pain.

Upvote 0
So I take it that you're trying to set this up for multiple people to be able to update? If so you might want to look at the Excel Web App, which I believe does support tables.

Otherwise, here's some Change event code that will fire after Weight has been entered:

<font face=Calibri><SPAN style="color:#00007F">Private</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN> Worksheet_Change(<SPAN style="color:#00007F">ByVal</SPAN> Target <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range)<br><SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Code goes in the Worksheet specific module</SPAN><br>    <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Dim</SPAN> rng <SPAN style="color:#00007F">As</SPAN> Range<br>    <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Set Target Range, i.e. Range("A1, B2, C3"), or Range("A1:B3")</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Set</SPAN> rng = Target.Parent.Range("C:C")<br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Only look at single cell changes</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Target.Count > 1 <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Only look at that range</SPAN><br>            <SPAN style="color:#00007F">If</SPAN> Intersect(Target, rng) <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Is</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Nothing</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Then</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Exit</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN><br>        <SPAN style="color:#007F00">'   Action if Condition(s) are met (do your thing here...)</SPAN><br>            Range("D2:I2").Copy Target.Offset(, 1)<br><SPAN style="color:#00007F">End</SPAN> <SPAN style="color:#00007F">Sub</SPAN></FONT>

Upvote 0
Thanks for your response, but I am having trouble understanding how and where I input the data to get this to work. I am quite new to Excel so my knowledge is limited at present. Would I have to add a new column to input the change code data for the cells I want it to copy to a new row if I insert one?

Upvote 0
Right-click on the worksheet tab and select View Code. Then paste the code in the new window that opens on the right. ALT+Q will exit you back to Excel to test it.

When data is entered into the weight column, the formulas in D1:I1 will be copied to that row.

Note that the VBA project will be locked as soon as you share the workbook, and while the code will function it can't be edited.

Upvote 0
I have tried entering the code you gave me in view code, but nothing happens. I am more than likely doing it wrong? I cut and past the text you sent as a hole. when I inserted a new row it inserts it above but the formulas have not copied even if I enter data in the weight column nothing happens. Like I said I am probably doing it wrong.

I copied this into the view code:

Private Sub Worksheet_Change(ByVal Target As Range)
' Code goes in the Worksheet specific module
Dim rng As Range
' Set Target Range, i.e. Range("A1, B2, C3"), or Range("A1:B3")
Set rng = Target.Parent.Range("C:C")
' Only look at single cell changes
If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
' Only look at that range
If Intersect(Target, rng) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
' Action if Condition(s) are met (do your thing here...)
Range("D2:I2").Copy Target.Offset(, 1)
End Sub

The cells I am needing to copy to the new Row when inserted, are H1 (BMI), J1 (BMI Catogory), K1 (Over All Health Risk) and M1 (review Date).

Sorry to be a pain, but I am struggling to understand. Thanks for your continued help it is most appreciated.

Upvote 0
Open the VBE (Visual Basic Editor) (ALT+F11 will do it) and look for the code you pasted in. It should be in the same worksheet module as the worksheet where you need it to work. Then you can goto this line:

Range("D2:I2").Copy Target.Offset(, 1)

and hit F9, which puts a breakpoint on that lie and the code will stop when it gets there. Then in your worksheet made an entry in Column C and see if that line of code is highlighted in yellow. If it is, then you can hit F8 to complete it. If it doesn't then the code is most likely in the wrong place.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ksonnia

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back