comment for a shape?

merlin777

Office Version
  1. 2007
I have a shape which is a button that runs a macro but i want to add a comment to explain what it does before the button is clicked on.

Is it possible to have a text message pop up when you mouseover a shape?

Excel Facts

Which Excel functions can ignore hidden rows?
The SUBTOTAL and AGGREGATE functions ignore hidden rows. AGGREGATE can also exclude error cells and more.
Right Click shape, select Hyperlink, Select "Screentip", Enter message, Click OK,Click OK.

Upvote 0
oooohh - very close to what I need. Unfortunately there is no hyperlink on the button and if i add one i'll have to link somewhere, and that also seems to take precedence over running the macro.

Upvote 0
If you use an ActiveX button you can run a "MouseOver" event with a Hidden "TextBox".
I see the shape thing does not appear to work with a "Hyperlink" and code !!!!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You could, just add a Comment in a cell next to the "Button", that would be the easiest

Upvote 0
Thanks for that.

Activex is out because this will be used on a corporate network where they don't like that kind of thing.

I tried putting a comment in the cell underneath but that didn't work.

The reason I wanted to tie it to the shape was because I'll be moving things around a lot and having a comment in a separate cell creates a lot of work.

So... the search continues...

Upvote 0
because the button just has a simple label with what it does 'fix formatting' but I need a little more explanation for my users about the implications of what it does and that won't fit on the button.

Upvote 0
I have a shape which is a button that runs a macro but i want to add a comment to explain what it does before the button is clicked on.

Is it possible to have a text message pop up when you mouseover a shape?

I am probably missing the obvious, but is it a Forms type button, or some type of button-like shape?

Upvote 0
It's a shape. It gives me more options for formatting because this book replaces another and my users asked if it could look similar.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gleisner2

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back