Enter same number in specific number of cells

pyxiidust

Good morning,

I would like to enter the same number in a specific amount of cells, i.e. the number "14" in A4 needs to be entered down the next 17 cells. Is there an easier way than just doing the math in my head?

Julie

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
I would like to enter the same number in a specific amount of cells, i.e. the number "14" in A4 needs to be entered down the next 17 cells. Is there an easier way than just doing the math in my head?
Select the cell (A4 for you example) then hover the cursor over the small solid square in the lower right corner of the selection border around the cell... when it turns to a thin black cross (plus sign), left click and drag down for as many cells as you want and then release the mouse button... the number in the cell will be copied down through all the cells you click/dragged across.

Upvote 0
What math?

You can select A5:A21, type =A$4, and press CTRL + ENTER

Thank you... but I would still need to figure out where 17 cells would end. I would like to just fill-in the following 17 cells without counting or doing math.

Upvote 0
Select the cell (A4 for you example) then hover the cursor over the small solid square in the lower right corner of the selection border around the cell... when it turns to a thin black cross (plus sign), left click and drag down for as many cells as you want and then release the mouse button... the number in the cell will be copied down through all the cells you click/dragged across.

Thank you, but this is what I normally do. I would like to fill in the following 17 cells without counting or doing any math. Does that make sense?

Upvote 0
You could put this in A5, and fill it down a sufficient amount of rows, say to row 100

=IF(ROWS($1:1)>17,"",A$4)

Upvote 0
Thank you... but I would still need to figure out where 17 cells would end. I would like to just fill-in the following 17 cells without counting or doing math.
Press ALT+F11... this will take you into the VB editor... locate the Immediate Window (it should be showing at the lower part of the screen (if you do not see it, press CTRL+G to make it appear)... then put this inside that window...

Range("I4").Resize(17) = "Yes"

The blue highlighted 17 is the total number of cells you want to fill (including the starting cell itself) and, with the text cursor located anywhere on that line, press the Enter key. Press ALT+Q to return to the worksheet.

Upvote 0
You could put this in A5, and fill it down a sufficient amount of rows, say to row 100

=IF(ROWS($1:1)>17,"",A$4)

Thank you, again, but I would want a specific number. My situation is, I receive a large amount of checks for payments each month...some are the same amount. I need to list them separately for my deposit. So, if I have 17 checks that are $14.00 each, I need to show them on the list as such, then start the next check amount in the next cell.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mesh

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back