I have this in column A, starting with row 1:

Blue
Yellow
Blue
Red
Red
Yellow

Question 1)
I want to calculate how many unique entries I have in that column - that is 3 (for Blue, Yellow and Red).

Question 2)
I want to keep column 2 populated with these unique entries, like this:

Blue
Yellow
Red

(in the order they occur in column A)

..and when Green is added in column A then column B should be updated with that too.

_____
(I've read several posts on my topic, but no one seam to be exact what I need, and I can't figure out how to tweak the formula to fit my needs. I've tried FREQUENCY and SUMPRODUCT but in both I've encountered problems. For the FREQUENCY example there was a TRUNC part that I couldn't bypass, and for the SUMPODUCT I never got the hang of the -- thing. I hope this can help.)

Excel Facts

Is there a shortcut key for strikethrough?
Ctrl+S is used for Save. Ctrl+5 is used for Strikethrough. Why Ctrl+5? When you use hashmarks to count |||| is 4, strike through to mean 5.
Rixn,

1. What version of Excel and Windows are you using?

2. Are you using a PC or a Mac?

Here is a macro solution for you to consider.

Sample raw data:

Excel 2007
AB
1Blue
2Yellow
3Blue
4Red
5Red
6Yellow
Sheet1

After the macro:

Excel 2007
AB
1BlueBlue
2YellowYellow
3BlueRed
4Red
5Red
6Yellow
Sheet1

Then you add Green to the bottom of the list in column A:

Excel 2007
AB
1BlueBlue
2YellowYellow
3BlueRed
4Red
5Red
6Yellow
7Green
Sheet1

And, run the macro again, and you get this:

Excel 2007
AB
1BlueBlue
2YellowYellow
3BlueRed
4RedGreen
5Red
6Yellow
7Green
Sheet1

Please TEST this FIRST in a COPY of your workbook (always make a backup copy before trying new code, you never know what you might lose).

1. Copy the below code
2. Open your NEW workbook
3. Press the keys ALT + F11 to open the Visual Basic Editor
4. Press the keys ALT + I to activate the Insert menu
5. Press M to insert a Standard Module
6. Where the cursor is flashing, paste the code
7. Press the keys ALT + Q to exit the Editor, and return to Excel
8. To run the macro from Excel press ALT + F8 to display the Run Macro Dialog. Double Click the macro's name to Run it.

Code:
Sub GetUniques()
' hiker95, 01/25/2015, ME831306
Dim o As Variant, rng As Range, c As Range
With CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
  .CompareMode = vbTextCompare
  Set rng = Range("A1:A" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
  For Each c In rng
    If c <> "" Then
      If Not .Exists(Trim(c.Value)) Then
        .Add Trim(c.Value), 1
      End If
    End If
  Next c
  o = Application.Transpose(Array(.Keys))
End With
Columns(2).ClearContents
Range("B1").Resize(UBound(o, 1)) = o
End Sub

Before you use the macro with Excel 2007 or newer, save your workbook, Save As, a macro enabled workbook with the file extension .xlsm

Then run the GetUniques macro.

Upvote 0
Start your data in A2.
For the number of Unique Items, try (adjust range to suit):
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100<>"")/COUNTIF(A2:A100,A2:A100&""))
For the list of Unique Items: enter this CSE in B2 (confirm with Ctrl+Shift+Enter, don't just hit the enter key), and then copy down:
Code:
=IFERROR(INDEX($A$2:$A$100,MATCH(0,IF(ISBLANK($A$2:$A$100),1,COUNTIF($B$1:B1,$A$2:$A$100)),0)),"")
Then as you add new colors, the Sumproduct formula will increase and they'll appear in Col B

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Rixn,

Here is another macro for you to consider, with a counter:

Excel 2007
ABC
1BlueBlue4
2YellowYellow
3BlueRed
4RedGreen
5Red
6Yellow
7Green
Sheet1

Please TEST this FIRST in a COPY of your workbook (always make a backup copy before trying new code, you never know what you might lose).

Code:
Sub GetUniquesV2()
' hiker95, 01/25/2015, ME831306
Dim o As Variant, rng As Range, c As Range, n As Long
With CreateObject("Scripting.Dictionary")
  .CompareMode = vbTextCompare
  Set rng = Range("A1:A" & Range("A" & Rows.Count).End(xlUp).Row)
  For Each c In rng
    If c <> "" Then
      If Not .Exists(Trim(c.Value)) Then
        .Add Trim(c.Value), 1
        n = n + 1
      End If
    End If
  Next c
  o = Application.Transpose(Array(.Keys))
End With
Columns("B:C").ClearContents
[B1].Resize(UBound(o, 1)) = o
[C1] = n
End Sub

Before you use the macro with Excel 2007 or newer, save your workbook, Save As, a macro enabled workbook with the file extension .xlsm

Then run the GetUniquesV2 macro.

Upvote 0
Thanksboth hiker and Ron for your solutions. I try to solve as much as I can with formulas, but it is good to know that there are people out there who have the knowledge necessary to fix things in VBA if the formulas won't be enough. For this problem I used RonBs elegant solution.

I don't fully understand how it works, which annoys me, but I'm grateful for the fact it does. I won't ask for an explanation, but i could be helped in my learning by letting me know one thing in the first formula:
Code:
=SUMPRODUCT((A2:A100<>"")/COUNTIF(A2:A100,A2:A100&""))
It's the part in the end that puzzles me:
I can't seam to find any support for this in the help. But I think I get the idea - by using & you can add the posts in the array between the "", and it only counts those posts that match that criteria.

1) Did I get it right?

2) ..and how come it isn't explained in the help?

3) Is it explained somewhere else, as in an expert help of some sort that covers many of these useful stuff?

Upvote 0
Here's another formula solution to consider.
Again it requires the data to start in row 2 (or below), but it is a bit shorter and does not require confirmation with Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
It also has a simpler method of getting the count by getting it after the list, not before.

Excel Workbook
ABC
2BlueBlue3
3YellowYellow
4BlueRed
5Red
6Red
7Yellow
Unique List

Upvote 0
Rixn,

Thanks for the feedback.

You are very welcome. Glad we could help.

And, come back anytime.

Upvote 0
Thanks Peter_SSs
That as an even better solution!

Upvote 0
Rixn,

Peter’s formula’s are much more eloquent than mine.

To answer your question on the &”” at the end of the SUMPRODUCT formula, it’s to deal with blank cells. You’ve probably already discovered that without the &”” the formula returns #DIV/0. If you break down the formula results by going into the formula bar and highlighting just the A2:A100 and pressing the F9 key, you’ll see in the array results that blank cells are considered 0, which causes the #DIV/0 error. Now hit Esc and highlight A2:A100&”” and press the F9 key and you’ll see that the blank cells are now considered blanks and there is no longer a #DIV/0 error.

You’re right that there’s very little documentation on this. I stumbled upon it some time back but I can’t find where now. I don’t remember any explanation other than it worked, so I backed into what was happening by breaking down the formula as described above. Peter’s “?*” in the countif criteria was new to me and when googling it I didn’t find any explanation. It’s a clever use of the wildcard characters which exclude cells with formulas returning blanks. It also works as “*?” but not with just the ? or just the *. While I don’t fully understand this, it’s another nice technique that I’ll keep in the back of my head – thank you again Peter.

Ron

Upvote 0
Peter’s “?*” in the countif criteria was new to me and when googling it I didn’t find any explanation.
I'm not sure what version of Excel you are using or what you Googled as the description of wildcards with COUNTIF is in the built-in Help of at least Excel 2010 and 2007 (don't have others to check at the moment) and when I Googled "excel countif syntax" the first result was this which also explains wildcard use with the function.

It also works as “*?” but not with just the ? or just the *. While I don’t fully understand this,..
When you say it doesn't work with just ? or just * I assume you mean it doesn't give the required result in this particular problem.

Just ?
=COUNTIF(B2:B100,"?")
Since the ? wildcard is used to match a single character, this would count the cells in B2:B100 that consisted of a single character. In our case there aren't any so the formula correctly returns 0, but if you added, say, "G" to the list in column A then this COUNTIF would correctly return 1.

Just *
=COUNTIF(B2:B100,"*")
The * wildcard is used to match any sequence of characters, including none, so this formula will count every cell in B2:B100 that contains the formula since the column B formula returns a text string in each case**.

** That comment is based on column A containing text strings, not numbers. If column A could contain numerical values then a different approach would be needed to do the count.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hat4Life

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back