Creating a formula using multiple sheets

Amandac6772

I need to calculate salary increases. I have the main spreadsheet and I have 4 salary tables in separate sheets. I need the formula to look at the Grade the person is paid at (bachelors level, masters level, etc) first to know which sheet to use, then the years of experience column to know what line then the salary is equal to those years of experience.

Excel Facts

How to calculate loan payments in Excel?
Use the PMT function: =PMT(5%/12,60,-25000) is for a $25,000 loan, 5% annual interest, 60 month loan.
Which cell contains the person's pay grade?

Which column are the years of experience in?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I know how to explain it. The grade and experience are on the first sheet. I need the formula to look at the grade and find the appropriate salary table in the next 4 sheets, then look at the experience and find that line on the salary table, then plug the salary in. Easy-peasy, right?

Upvote 0
I'm not sure I know how to explain it. The grade and experience are on the first sheet. I need the formula to look at the grade and find the appropriate salary table in the next 4 sheets, then look at the experience and find that line on the salary table, then plug the salary in. Easy-peasy, right?

So which column on the first sheet has the grade and which column on the first sheet has the experience?

Upvote 0
G has the grade and I has the experience

OK. And I'm assuming your sheet names are Bachelors, Masters, etc....

Which column on those sheets has the experience that you want to match from the first sheet? And which column from those sheets do you want returned when a match is found?

Upvote 0
Try this:

=VLOOKUP(I2,INDIRECT(G2&"!A1:C100"),3,0)

Assuming G2 is grade and I2 is years of experience.

Upvote 0
It worked great for the Bachelors chart but when I copied it down and it should have looked at the master's chart on another sheet I get a #REF! error.

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ak94

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back