Combining IF + AND to Highlight Cells (Conditional Formatting)

Carrie2525

Hello! I am using a formula to calculate the number of days between two dates, and then highlighting cells based on that number:

=(DATEDIF((B5-44),B3,”D”))>179 -- if the number of days between two dates is greater than 179, then highlight a cell.

This formula is working great for me, but I have come to an area of the spreadsheet where I need to add a second variable into the mix. Basically, I want something that combines the formula above with something like

AND B4="Experienced"

and then use the new formula to determine whether or not to highlight a cell. (i.e. If the number of days between two dates is greater than 179, AND B4="Experienced", then highlight a cell.)

Does that make sense? Can anyone help? Excel keeps finding different ways to tell me that my new formula is garbage. Thank you :)

Excel Facts

Format cells as currency
Select range and press Ctrl+Shift+4 to format cells as currency. (Shift 4 is the $ sign).
untested / unformatted

=AND(DATEDIF((B5-44),B3,”D”))>179,B4="Experienced")

Upvote 0
Gaz, no error message with yours, but it did not highlight any cells. I tried adjusted a few variables, too. (Changing 179 to 1, changing "Experienced" to "E".) No dice. :(

Upvote 0
Gaz, no error message with yours, but it did not highlight any cells. I tried adjusted a few variables, too. (Changing 179 to 1, changing "Experienced" to "E".) No dice. :(
The 2 formulas are exactly the same, just the other way round, so both should give same result?What is in B4?

Upvote 0
In B4, there is a capital letter E.

I don't have to use the DATEDIF formula -- it's just the only way I knew how to do the first rule for highlighting. I'm always open to another suggestion, if anyone has something.

Upvote 0
Hi Carrie,

As you're interested in days then Try this formual in the cell.

=IF(AND(B2-B3>179,B4="Experienced"),"ok","no")

Once yo get it work adapt it for Conditional Formatting

=AND(B2-B3>179,B4="Experienced")

Upvote 0
BGY, I used your first formula, and "ok" populated. Using your second formula as the conditional formatting rule, I keep getting the standard "We found a problem with this formula..." message. What on earth am I doing wrong, you guys?

Upvote 0
In B4, there is a capital letter E.

I don't have to use the DATEDIF formula -- it's just the only way I knew how to do the first rule for highlighting. I'm always open to another suggestion, if anyone has something.

If it is a capital E, why check if it says "Experienced"?

Try
=and(B4="E",(B5-44)-B3>179)

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mdusw

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back