Toggle button

Bertha

Is it possible to turn a cell into a toggle button?

Thank you for helping out,

Bertha

Excel Facts

Using Function Arguments with nested formulas
If writing INDEX in Func. Arguments, type MATCH(. Use the mouse to click inside MATCH in the formula bar. Dialog switches to MATCH.
No. Buttons are at a different layer.
However you can position a control over a cell, e.g. a check box. If you link that check box to the same cell you are about as close as you can get.
The cell value will toggle between TRUE and FALSE.

By the way there are a lot of different "toggles" in Excel (e.g. turn filter on/off, turn bold on/off), so it's not clear to me what kind of toggle you require.

Upvote 0
No. Buttons are at a different layer.
However you can position a control over a cell, e.g. a check box. If you link that check box to the same cell you are about as close as you can get.
The cell value will toggle between TRUE and FALSE.

By the way there are a lot of different "toggles" in Excel (e.g. turn filter on/off, turn bold on/off), so it's not clear to me what kind of toggle you require.

Thank you very much, MarcelBeug,

What I would like to do is:

Have a column B with toggable (deselectable/selectable) cells that are all green (selected) by default, green meaning that the value of those cells is TRUE by default. Subsequently I would like to be able to click on some of the cells (to deselect them) and make the colour of those clicked cells change from green to red, red meaning that the value of those cells will change from TRUE to FALSE. After having clicked on all the cells in column B that I want to flag as FALSE, I would like to sort the spreadsheet on the colour of the cells in column B, so that the rows flagged as TRUE (green) will be displayed in the top part of the spreadsheet, and the rows flagged as FALSE (red) will be displayed under the green ones in the second part of the spreadsheet. (Column A will be a column with digits from 1 to [n], this information is probably irrelevant).

Best,
Bertha

Upvote 0
Is it possible to turn a cell into a toggle button?

Thank you for helping out,

Bertha
Yes. Well sort of.
If you put this code into the code module for the sheet, double clicking on B2 will toggle it between True and False, just like a toggle button.
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
    With Target
        If .Address = "$B$2" Then
            .Value = Not (CStr(.Value) = "True")
            Cancel = True
        End If
    End With
End Sub

Upvote 0
Yes. Well sort of.
If you put this code into the code module for the sheet, double clicking on B2 will toggle it between True and False, just like a toggle button.
Code:
Private Sub Worksheet_BeforeDoubleClick(ByVal Target As Range, Cancel As Boolean)
    With Target
        If .Address = "$B$2" Then
            Cancel = True
        End If
    End With
End Sub

Great, mikerickson,

And is it possible to make all cells in column B have a toggle button (maybe checkbox is a better name?) that has a green colour by default (green meaning TRUE) and that can be clicked to make it displayed as red and getting the value FALSE? After that is it possible to sort the spreadsheet on TRUE (green)/FALSE (red)?

Bertha

Upvote 0
Yes, here is the code
Code:
    With Target
        If .Column = 2 Then
            If .Value Then
                .Interior.Color = RGB(0, 255, 0)
            Else
                .Interior.Color = RGB(255, 0, 0)
            End If
        End If
    End With
End Sub

Note that both the Value and the color change. Making sorting and downstream calculations easier.

Upvote 0
Yes, here is the code
Code:
    With Target
        If .Column = 2 Then
            If .Value Then
            Else
            End If
        End If
    End With
End Sub

Note that both the Value and the color change. Making sorting and downstream calculations easier.

Very helpful, thank you!

Best,
Bertha

Upvote 0
Yes, here is the code
Code:
    With Target
        If .Column = 2 Then
            If .Value Then
            Else
            End If
        End If
    End With
End Sub

Do I understand correctly that I first have to assign green checkboxes to all cells in column B with RGB colour 255 to the checkboxes? I have selected all cells in column B, used rightclick -> Format cells ->Fill. After that I can select a green colour, but I do not see an option to choose for the exact colour RGB 255?

Bertha

Upvote 0
No, you don't have to select anything or color any cells.
Double click on a cell in column B, it will toggle between True and False.
It will also color the cell green if True and red if False.

Forget about the colors, they are trivial decorations only. The important part is the cell value changing between True and False.

No initializing is necessary, if you want to initialize, it would be done by putting True or False into the appropriate cells.

Upvote 0
No, you don't have to select anything or color any cells.
Double click on a cell in column B, it will toggle between True and False.
It will also color the cell green if True and red if False.

Forget about the colors, they are trivial decorations only. The important part is the cell value changing between True and False.

No initializing is necessary, if you want to initialize, it would be done by putting True or False into the appropriate cells.

Thank you for your clear explanation. I have put the code in the VBA editor (via insert module), after which I am asked for a name. I have given the name TOGGLE. After that the following is displayed:

With Target
If .Column = 2 Then
If .Value Then
Else
End If
End If
End With
End Sub
Sub Toggle()

End Sub

After I have pressed F5 to run the macro, it seems nothing is happening, when I doubleclick on a cell in column B nothing happens. After that I tried to copy the code and place it between Sub Toggle () and End Sub:

Sub Toggle()
With Target
If .Column = 2 Then
If .Value Then
Else
End If
End If
End With
End Sub
End Sub

The result is an error message box stating Compile error: Expected End Sub.

What basic thing am I doing wrong here?

Bertha

Upvote 0

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hanakoro

We've detected that you are using an adblocker.

We have a great community of people providing Excel help here, but the hosting costs are enormous. You can help keep this site running by allowing ads on MrExcel.com.
Allow Ads at MrExcel

Which adblocker are you using?

Disable AdBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock

1)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the icon in the browser’s toolbar.
2)Click on the "Pause on this site" option.
Go back

Disable AdBlock Plus

Follow these easy steps to disable AdBlock Plus

2)Click on the toggle to disable it for "mrexcel.com".
Go back

Disable uBlock Origin

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock Origin

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back

Disable uBlock

Follow these easy steps to disable uBlock

2)Click on the "Power" button.
3)Click on the "Refresh" button.
Go back
Back