MrExcel Publishing
Your One Stop for Excel Tips & Solutions


Posted by Lars on February 04, 2002 3:17 PM

I want a formula that will lookup a set of numbers and find the larger number in one set and add to that the larger number in the next set - for example

I want to look up a number in a table. In the table there are 4 columns of data (column C-F). I want the lookup to find the larger number in column C&D and add to that the larger number in E&F.

I assume an if(lookup will work but I can't get it.


Posted by Richard S on February 04, 2002 4:10 PM

=MAX(C1,D1)+MAX(E1,F1) (nt)


Posted by anno on February 04, 2002 4:24 PM

or =MAX(C:C:D:D)+MAX(E:E:F:F), but...

i'm not sure what the performance costs are having the formula evaluate whole columns. it may be better to have it refer to the actual range (eg C2:C100)rather than the whole column. by the way, i think richard's suggestion will only look at the first row, which from the question you asked won't return the required result.